- 7 years ago
- Wedding: January 1992
My husband and I decided it would be a good idea to come home from our honeymoon and visit the doctor for our annual physicals this week. I got the call from my doctor today saying I have hypothyroidism.
I can’t say I’m really surprised, because I haven’t quite felt right for the past couple of years, and in fact went through what I call a “mystery illness” a couple of years ago, and it wasn’t pretty. Now, by all counts I feel much better, but I do notice handfuls of hair coming from my head every time I shower, I get tired easily, and my memory is crap. I have difficulty concentrating, and my mind feels hazy, if that makes sense.
So I’ve been prescribed something to balance me out. I have a question for all you bees who may have the same affliction. I can ask my doctor these things too, but I want to hear it from those of you who have gone through it first hand.
1) Do you remember what life was like before the meds kicked in, and has it improved markedly for you?
2) Is your fertility in any way affected by this?
3) Has it been easier for you to lose weight on the medication than it has for you pre-medication?
4) Do you need to take the meds for the rest of your life?
5) What’s the worst symptom of hypothyroidism for you?
6) Do you completely get rid of your symptoms when you begin the meds, or are they just downgraded to a more tolerable level?
Also, are you generally nervous about having the condition? Is there cause to worry at any point in time? I’m still kind of taking it in and reading up on it, but for those of you ladies who have been there and done that, can you help out a less experienced member?
Thanks, Hive! Another reason why I love you.