posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
  • poll: What would you do with $100,000
    Invest It : (36 votes)
    15 %
    Buy a house/property : (44 votes)
    19 %
    Pay off loans/debt : (71 votes)
    30 %
    Spend it on material items (i.e. car, clothes, etc) : (26 votes)
    11 %
    Spend it on experiences (i.e. travel) : (39 votes)
    17 %
    Give to Charity : (13 votes)
    6 %
    Other : (4 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 3
    2867 posts
    Sugar bee

I’d pay off mine and my Fiance’s student loans (~$45,000 total at graduation), put $45,000 into a long term CD, and then the rest pay for the wedding and invite all people I want!  Oh and I wouldn’t postpone getting married, I’d get married next summer like we had planned originally.

Post # 4
    5921 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

Hmm, Fiance and I would buy the property we are eyeing, and start building our house.  We are doing this next year anyway, but $100,000 extra would be helpful.

🙂

Post # 5
    6394 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

Fiance and I have actually talked about this! He would want to buy a house with it, but I think we should put it into some high-yield investments.

As it is, we would probably pay off our student loans, buy Fiance a nice reliable car (probably a Prius or something), and save the rest.

Post # 6
    7777 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

Pay off my student loans…. and then get a new Camaro. lol

Post # 7
    5670 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2010

I instantly said pay off student loans, I still owe 98k. However I think I would use it towards a down payment for a rental property.

Post # 8
    6597 posts
    Bee Keeper

Pay off my student loans no question!

Post # 8
    6597 posts
    Bee Keeper

Pay off my student loans no question!

Post # 9
    1807 posts
    Buzzing bee

I would buy and pay off a reliable suv.

Quit work while I finish my degree.

Do a little traveling.

And save the rest.

Post # 10
    4385 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

I’d pay off the rest of our student loan (about 6k), and then put the rest towards our mortgage (or at least the max amount they’ll allow me to overpay!). We’d probably take a little bit of it and go to Europe too 🙂

Post # 11
    767 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

$10,000 to spoil us now on a trip or something for the wedding + another thousand or so for a shopping spree!!

$30,000 to pay off our student loans (I think it’s about that, all together)

The rest would go into savings (well, some investment), probably to be used somewhat shortly on a new car for FH and a downpayment on a house in another couple years

Post # 12
    13096 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

I’d split it between a few things.  First, we’d use it to make a large down-payment on a house.  We’d also plan a couple of really nice trips as Darling Husband and I really enjoy traveling.  The remainder would be added to our current investments.

Post # 13
    1602 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

First and foremost, I would pay of my student loans ($15,000).

Then I would go on my ideal Europe trip (~$10,000)

Buy lots of clothes when I’m there. (~$5,000 – I mean lots haha)

Come home and buy a car (I only buy used, so ~$10,000)

Save the rest for overbudget expenses on wedding, and for a future downpayment on a house.

Post # 14
    11325 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2011

lol how sad is it that if i used the entire thing to pay off our loans we’d still have loans? 🙂 

I think I’d put another 5k towards our wedding because I think that would give us enough wiggle room to really have the wedding I want. I’d take about 10k to do stuff around our house (patio, fence, tv for FI’s man cave, and hire a painter), pay off both of our cars (ballparking at around 25k? Not sure how much Fiance owes on his anymore), put the other 60k towards our student loans. That would leave us with 60k in loans still but if our payments were cut in half and we didn’t have car payments i feel like we’d be livin’ large! haha

Post # 15
    1927 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I would pay off SO and my debt, then I would invest the rest for retirement.

The topic ‘Just for fun, if you had a windfall of $100,000’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors