(Closed) Just for fun…would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)

posted 6 years ago in Home
  • poll: Would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)

Yes, I would love to!

I would want to if it wasn't creepy or in really bad shape.

No thanks.

• Post # 31
    569 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

View original reply
    Alyx19:  Thank you—and great point about the ceilings!

Post # 34
    1883 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
    rel318:  absolutely! I love old houses with character.

My current condo complex used to be a Catholic school/convent/chapel in the early 20th century (my building was the school) before the church combined with another local church and sold the property to developers who converted it to condos. A lof of the old details (12 foot ceiling with dental moulding, stone crosses and flowers, etc.) are still there and it I just loooove it. I pretty much only buy fixer uppers in general so I was looking for potential when we were looking for a place rather than a finished product – I don’t think I would have tackled things like foundation problems or need for new plumbing though.

Post # 35
    1784 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

We just moved into a house that I think has a lot of old world charm! It’s from 1929, gumwood trim, hardwood floors, leaded glass decorative windows… love it.

Post # 36
    2355 posts
    Buzzing bee

Well I am close. I am living in a 126 year old home.  Before that the house I lived in was 160 years old.

Old houses have way more charm and charachter than the dull construction we see today. The house we are living in has all the original old wood.  My older house had to be gutted, and while most ot phsycial history was stripped away I swear that house was haunted.

If you think about it death happened in old homes. People didn’t die in a hospital so there is a lot of energy in them. And I love the energy!

My Fiance says we aren’t owners of this home, but we are caretakers and prepairing it for the next generation who will live here.

I love it when people say they want a new house so they dont have ghosts. LOL. Energy can be anywhere, even in the land. It doesnt have to reside in a structure. With all the construction they are doing these days who knows what they are digging up that they shouldnt….

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  .
    Post # 37
    157 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2016

What a great thread! I have loved reading all your descriptions of your old homes! I am not sure I would want to own an old house due to all the renovations, but I am currently renting a 110 year old house and I hear weird noises all the time. Doesn’t bother me too much, it’s quite a cute house otherwise. I agree with VictorianChick that the energy can be anywhere.

Post # 38
    Hostess
    9930 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

View original reply
    rel318:  Nope! I lived in a renovated music  school from the late 1800s and it was a PITA. Everything was falling apart! The radiators would spit out hot steam and make super loud noises ALL through the night. The basement was creepy as all hell and featured a closet lined with old wooden cubby-holes from it’s better days. Nothing about older homes really appeals to me. I’d take a new house loaded with technology ANY day over an old house.

Post # 39
    1607 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

We are currently bidding on a brownstone that’s from the 1870s-1890s, so almost that old!  It’s got some really cool original detailing, but we’re going to gut it and probably won’t restore most of it (it’s more expensive to restore the original woodwork than to just replace it.)  The banister is probably the only thing we’d fight to keep.  Based on the floorplan, there might be some old fireplaces behind some walls which would be awesome and we would totally restore to working order if we could!

Post # 40
    390 posts
    Helper bee

I grew up in an old farmhouse (Is currently about 200 years old) and loved every minute of it. It had so much character and I loved not having the exact same cookie-cutter house as all of my friends. It also was very interesting to be able to trace the history of the house back.

Sure the floors and stairs were creaky (which wasn’t conducive to ever being able to sneak out ) and the ceilings were lower than modern day ceilings, but overall it was fine. I believe my family had to re-do the roof not too long ago but that sort of upkeep is with any house. Honestly, if the foundation is good and there aren’t any pest infestations like termites I would go for it! You can’t beat the uniqueness and history you get from old houses. I also have a theory they were built better too 

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  adomke.
    Post # 41
    2697 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

View original reply
    rel318:  I grew up in an old farm house (150 years). It was not creepy at all! Nothing ghostly ever happened. I would live in an old house if it was in good shape. The crappy thing about those old houses is typically they need a lot of work to bring them up the code and make them safe.

Post # 42
    245 posts
    Helper bee

just bought our first home, 140 years old. so beautiful, quirky and full of character! (also, damp, rot and wood boring weevils but they’re going soon!)

Post # 43
    5220 posts
    Bee Keeper

View original reply
    rel318:  I live in a house that was built in 1850. I love that is so old and has so much history. There is an area in my basement where you can see where the old fashioned water pump used to be. reapirs haven’t been too awful. It is mainly cosmetic stuff that we wanted to change, and anything that has gone wrong has been our own fault . The main thing with owning a home that old is making sure it is inspected well, so you know what you are getting into when you buy it.

Post # 44
    3208 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

View original reply
    rel318:  my ultimate dream would be to live in an bay and gable style home, a late-19th century style that’s ubiquitous in older parts of Toronto.

Wikipedia has a good article and photos of these beautiful, incredibly narrow homes: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay-and-gable

Post # 45
    1831 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I always thought I wanted an old home, until I actually started house shopping. I want an open floor plan, which is nearly impossible to find in old homes. The bathrooms are also very small and closet space is nil. Bedrooms are also super tiny. It just turned out to be too many compromises. I also noticed that they tend to have a musty smell, which is a deal breaker. Every now and then I’ll see some old house that has been somewhat gutted to allow for modern ammenities but has managed to keep some old house charm. Only problem is that those houses tend to be in the $750K-$1 million range, which is waaaaay out of our league.

The topic ‘Just for fun…would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors