(Closed) Just for fun…would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)

posted 6 years ago in Home
  • poll: Would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)

Yes, I would love to!

I would want to if it wasn't creepy or in really bad shape.

No thanks.

• Post # 61
    3658 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2000

I like only old houses. The new stuff is built so cheaply it is gross.

My cut off used to be 1945, I would not live in anything built after 1945, but now I am starting to appreciate classic ranches, but only if they have original kitchens. Hideous granite countertops and cabinents from Lowe’s hurt my eyes and make me sad the the wonderful ranchettes have been raped and pillaged.

Post # 62
    2356 posts
    Buzzing bee

View original reply
    bkrocks13:  I don’t agree with what the previous owner did either.  It bothers me when people buy historic homes and then destory everything that makes them historic. Just go buy a new house and be done with it.

To each their own.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  .
    Post # 63
    995 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2015 - City Hall!

Absolutely. Our dream is to buy a super old home, gut it and redo it. New homes never have as much detail or beauty as old homes. There’s something about them. 

Post # 64
    69 posts
    Worker bee

I live in a victorian mansion which used to be a nunnery. I think my room used to be the head mothers. We also have a cross on our house and a chapel inside. It was renovated and a new wing was added a few years ago – I live with (wait for it…) 14 other women! Its a HUGE house and it never seems to end. Some of the women swear they have seen nun ghosts (there is a particular one whose pic is still in the chapel and I swear she is not a pleasant one). 

Post # 65
    93 posts
    Worker bee

Yes please!!! I love older homes they have so much charm and character….

Post # 66
    7959 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

My parents owned a home built in the 1790’s. It was beautiful but also a money pit- there was so much upkeep! Also, it was on the historic register, so all outward repairs had to be approved (new roof or fence for example). They are close to retirement, so they sold it last year and bought a condo that suits their life better now.

Post # 67
    755 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

Can’t refer, live in Europe, 150 years is hardly called old here =)))

Post # 68
    5940 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2014

View original reply
    rel318:  I LOVE older homes! Ours is only 73 years old, but it does have some of the charm of older homes. Coved ceilings, arched doorways. Both of those homes are cool, but that 2nd one has waaaaaaaay too much woodwork for me. Too dark. Though I realize that was probably the style way back when.

irkeiko:  CHristine2809:  

As a side note, I toured one of the Rehab Addict’s homes and, at least on that day, she was NOT a nice person! I was really surprised because she’s so cute and bubbly on her show. House was darling, but I wouldn’t let anyone I love live in that neighborhood.

Post # 69
    679 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

Our house is only around 50(?) years old and it’s been a money pit, so I couldn’t imagine how much money a 150+ year old home would cost to update.  I personally wouldn’t want to live in a house that old.

Post # 70
    1606 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
    VictorianChick:  I would argue that a facade like this would, in itself, make the home “historic” regardless of the interior

Or a bannister like this:

Or the original floors, or the original fireplaces (probably no longer working, but whathaveyou,) or the original front door and stoop, or all the original brick… being a martyr to “restoration” doesn’t make a home more historic. Trust me, I have a friend who owns a landmarked building and it was an absolute nightmare to get it into working shape because virtually everything had to be “restored.”  It took them years and probably double the cost, and if they didn’t tell you it was original detailing, you would never even know. 

Post # 71
    2120 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

I would love to! My childhood home was built in the early 1900s, so I have a soft spot for old houses. 

Post # 72
    2356 posts
    Buzzing bee

View original reply
    bkrocks13:  I know all about resturation.

I’m curious to see what some of your houses look like 🙂

Post # 73
    2116 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

View original reply
    rel318:  yes and no. im afraid of ghosts lol. but i love history. so im torn. 

Post # 74
    69 posts
    Worker bee

@bkrocks13, <br /><br />My house is SIMILAR to this one. Except in brickcolour brick LOL<br />

Post # 75
    Hostess
    8574 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

I love that second home you posted. As for the first, it does need alot of work.

I wouldn’t mind an older home, our old home was 110 years old, it was one of the 3 original homes in the town where we lived. I loved it!

The topic ‘Just for fun…would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors