(Closed) Just for fun…would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)

posted 6 years ago in Home
  • poll: Would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)

Yes, I would love to!

I would want to if it wasn't creepy or in really bad shape.

No thanks.

• Post # 77
    1846 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

View original reply
    FauxPas2012: I completely agree.  I hate when home listings say things like “this historic house has been restored to it’s original grandeur, with a completely updated kitchen and bath!”  Um, well then it wasn’t restored to its original grandeur.  You either maintained the integrity of the home by making any repairs within the appropriate look of the time period the house was built, or you ripped it apart.  You can’t do both.

I just saw this house today: http://www.hometoindy.com/property-search/in/indianapolis/46205/3258-n-new-jersey-street/10584063_spid/?listingid=1126875&userid=270813&searchid=4461700&sentfrom=listingalert They completely RUINED the inside.  It looks so confused.

Post # 78
    556 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

It looks creepy to me, haha. But I get creeped out easily 

Post # 79
    3656 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2000

View original reply
    CHristine2809:  wow, do they EVER love their black paint in that house! I don’t like the decor there and honestly, I don’t always mind modern inside of old houses, just–I like a mix of anitques and modern.

But that one is relentlessly “updated.” Black floors in the entry room, just, nooooooo!

Around here in my victorian neighborhood several people have gone with the black floor thing and I think 1)they look awful  2) they would be impossible to keep clean  3) they will be outdated by next week. Hello, does anyone remember the bleached floors of the 80’s? Those are cool only in beach houses.

A classic oak, cherry, maple in mediaum tone is always appropriate if one cannot use the original floors in the house.

In my victorian neighborhood we all have new kitchens, of course. But I do see victorians in certain parts of the world (Eureka SPrings, for instance) where people there did not rip out old kitchens form the ’30’s and ’40s, and now I think they are super charming.

It’s that those ranches of the 1960’s have perfeclty functional kitchens, why pull our something that looks “updated” but in fact will be MORE dated in 10 years?

End my rant for the day, thank you for listening.

Post # 80
    1213 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
    rel318:  YES! Fiance and I always say we want to buy a really old house someday. We both love history and would love to buy a historical home in a historical district someday! 🙂

The topic ‘Just for fun…would you want to live in a really old house? (150+ years old)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors