- 3 years ago
- Wedding: January 2015
This is just a vent more than anything but…
This past weekend has been the worst ever. On Friday morning we were just about to leave for work when FI got a sudden sharp pain in his chest. It progressively got worse and worse until he was in so much pain he couldn’t even move and was struggling to breathe. I learned that he is even more stubborn than I thought when he refused an ambulance and we went to After Hours instead. There they confirmed that his lung had callopsed and put him on a drip and gave him morphine for the pain while we waited for the ambulance to pick him up. While we were waiting he started “tensioning” where there was so much air behind his lung that it was moving over to his other lung and blocking off the arteries to his heart and stopping the blood going to his brain. They had to stab a needle iinto his chest to release the pressure. It was terrifyig and I was a mess seeing him in so much pain, unable to breathe and almost passing out. Once we got to the hospital he had an xray and they were making arrangements to transfer him to a ward where they were going to insert a drain into the cavity behind his lung when he started to tension again so they had to do the surgery right then and there in the ER.
They told him later on Friday that the hole in his lung should be heeled by Saturday and he should be able to go home. On Saturday there was still an air leak but they let him come home with a portable drain and told him to come back on Sunday for an xray and hopefully the drain will be removed. Unfortunately, the xray showed that there was still a hole so they changed him to a suction drain which he has been on for 2 days now and still no improvement.
So he had a CT scan today and they found that he has a cyst on his right lung (the one that collapsed) and also has one on his left lung. Apparantely he was born with them. The surgeon came up and told us that he will be getting surgery on eiher Wednesday or Friday to remove the cysts and eliminate the risk of this happening again. Only to come back a couple of hours later and tell us he spoke to the doctor and they have decided to leave him on the suction for a while longer and see if it heels itself. The thing is, if they let it repair itself (which I would of thought would of happened by now since they originally thought it would only take 24hrs to heel) he has a 20% chance of this happening again. It makes no sense to me why they would leave the cysts there if they can cause this to happen again.
I am such an emotional mess 1. because its so unclear what is happening with him and I hate seeing him like this and 2. because we are usually joined at the hip and it sucks that I only get to see him for a few hours a day – I miss him so much
Note: I wasn’t sure where to post this so I hope that where I have put it is ok