- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2013
I was never really a fan of “theme” weddings, especially if they were super over-the-top and more like an 8 year old’s birthday party than a wedding. So I’m working really hard to pull of a penguin theme wedding without being hokey or cheesy.
We picked penguins because #1) we are both Pittsburgh Penguin hockey fans. Our friends introduced us because we had that in common. And #2) penguins are a symbol of monogomy, loyalty and strength (the whole March of the Penguins thing about love in the harshest place on earth).
Since the Pittsburgh Penguins’ “classic” jerseys from the 60’s were powder blue (and before that darker blue), our colors are going to be shades of blue, silver, and white.
Here are some ideas I have so far:
* penguin gummies for favors (or little notebooks with this cover — can’t decide)
* penguin cake topper, goblets, & serving set (they’ll all match and be made by the same person)
* invites with this silhoutte
* cocktail napkins
* might have a “Stanley Cup” groom’s cake
*table numbers will be in the shape of hockey jerseys and numbered/labeled with legendary team members (#66 Lemieux, #87 Crosby, etc)
* our entrance song into the reception will be the “Pens Anthem”
* I had this outrageous idea of renting an air hockey table for the reception but I don’t know if that’s too over the top (or even possible). I want the wedding to be fun and not overly formal so who knows.
So just wanted to share. Hopefully I can acheive the “cute/romantic/personal” theme without being hokey or having the feeling like it’s a bunch of mismatched pieces being thrown together.
I plan on having normal centerpieces and ceiling hangings (floating candles, blue and white crystals, paper lanterns, etc). And there will be NO jersey wearing over our dresses/tuxes. lol