(Closed) Just wondering… Am I the only one who is DIYing their own hair & Make up?

posted 8 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I am doing my own makeup….I will have someone do my hair but if I were the least bit talented, I would do it myself.  Weddings are soooo expensive, so I say save in any way you can!

Post # 4
466 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I’m doing my own hair and makeup!  I’m confident with my makeup skills, not so much with my hair…but every time I’ve had my hair done, I end up looking completely not like myself!  I plan on doing a few trial runs.  My bridesmaids are doing their own, as well, so we’ll all be together and can help each other out on the wedding day.

Post # 5
571 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Hey I did my own makeup thats after I lost my deposit on the MUA I chose…she just wasn’t getting it right, so with the stress of worrying about it, I saved myself the fee on the day of and did it myself.  SOOO glad I did.  My hair though I wanted it curled and the curls to last and I didn’t know how to get that veil to stay in, so I had it done!  I say do whatever you can!

Post # 6
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2010

After a truely horrible experience with a make-up artist for my wedding I decided that I will do my own.  But I am NOT capable of doing my own hair (pony-tail, braid, and down, thats all I can do!), so I have a hair trial tomorrow actually! 

Post # 8
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I’m doing my own make-up. I went Friday to the MAC counter and did their make-over. I showed her a picture of what I wanted. They request you do a $50 purchase after the make-over. So I bought a few of the items I thought made the look.  I plan to practice it this week but it shouldn’t be too hard to achieve.  I did hire a hair stylist because I can’t do my hair.

Post # 9
305 posts
Helper bee

I am definitely doing my own makeup. My fiance really isnt into the look of makeup – he really prefers as little makeup as possible….and that is NOT what a makeup artist does! I want to look like me on my wedding day, and not someone unrecognizable. When I see other people’s makeup trial photos (the bare face, and then the made-up face) I am usually SHOCKED by how different they look. No offense to anyone out there, but that’s just not for me. I will be doing my own makeup – super light and natural, I hope!

I would love to do my own hair as well. I don’t want a “weddingy updo” or the standard updo that screams “bride” with 9000000 bobby pins and a whole can of hairspray. I just want to look like me. Granted, I am terrified my hair just won’t cooperate and I will look like a fool. So I still haven’t decided if I am capable of DIYing my hair or not…but I’d like to!

Post # 10
314 posts
Helper bee

Im getting my hair done at a salon, but Im doing my own makeup I dont like when other people do my makeup!!

Post # 11
436 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

If you’re comfortable doing it yourself, go ahead and save yourself some money.  I did my own make-up and probably could have done my hair the same way the stylist did it.  Use the money for something else fun!

Post # 12
1901 posts
Buzzing bee

I went Friday to the MAC counter, too. We are getting married in MX and the prices for makeup are outrageous. The makeup artist at MAC showed me how to do my false eyelashes & everything. I bought almost all the products and so far I really like them. I’m still having my hair done at the resort. I’ve never been good with updos.

Post # 13
404 posts
Helper bee

DIYing the hair and make-up myself, with the help of my mom.  One thing a brutally honest mother with great taste is for- making sure you look amazing for special occasions. You can DIY with a little practice.  Get dressed up one night to go out with friends and take photos of your hair/make up so you can get a clear idea of what you like.  Make adjustments and do this a few times. You should get enough pratice to be ready for the big day.

Here is my plan for DIY hair/make-up

For my hair (which is pin straight and flat), I am going with an updo.  I always start by setting my hair in hotrollers first.  Even if I don’t want the curly look, it still gives my hair the volume it needs and I can fix any strands with a flat iron later as needed. Invest in some good hotrollers- trust me.  I know they favored by old ladies, but no one has to see you using them.

For my make-up, I am doing the same thing I do every day, but more of it.  Usually I just wear concealer, but for the wedding both MAC foundation and concealer for full coverage.  Eyes are with the Cover Girl Queen Collection Eyeliner.  It is like liquid liner in the form of a pencil. I learned about it when I used to ballet dance.  Mascara is Dior Show and I plan to use an eyelash curler for extra volume. Eye shadow will be bare minerals peach on the lids and a little darker in the crease. Look it up online if you are unsure on how to put eyeshadow on properly. Blush is by Lorac and I’m using a shade that has some bronze to it. For lips, usually it is burts bees tinted gloss, but I will use the CARGO brand for the wedding.

Have fun and if you get too nervous, just remember that you know what looks best on you better than any professional who has known you for only 5 minutes.  Just practice and you’ll be ready.

Post # 14
546 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’m doing my own make up – but I am having a lovely lady doing my hair.

Post # 15
1184 posts
Bumble bee

I think DIY make up wouldn’t be so hard, but DIY hair is a little tricky and tiresome since I have medium length hair. I also plan to go to MAC.

Post # 16
172 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I’m doing my own make-up. I’m excited about going to buy some new products for it!

However, I am absolutely awful with my own hair, so I’m getting that done for me.

The topic ‘Just wondering… Am I the only one who is DIYing their own hair & Make up?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors