(Closed) Key jewelers

posted 7 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Should I get the tanzanite halo ring from Kay's Jewelers?
    Get the ring from Kay's : (32 votes)
    46 %
    Look elsewhere for an tanzanite ring : (38 votes)
    54 %
  • Post # 31
    332 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    Beautyandthebusiness:  I hope it didn’t sound like I was saying you weren’t courteous!  I didn’t mean that at all.  I just threw that little line in there about being courteous as a “just in case” comment.  😀  It was truly just an afterthought.

It sounds like you have done all the right things.  I’m sure you will get the same deal when you work with the same women–the other salespeople seem like total tools. After you buy the ring and secure the better price, I’d definitely talk to the manager about it.

My boyfriend and I both have good credit scores, but my history is a bit longer–and thus my score is a bit higher. Thus, we used *my* info to qualify for the 0% financing, even though he’ll be paying it.  If you don’t need the ring for a while, though, then your plan makes perfect sense as well.  🙂

Post # 33
    1111 posts
    Bumble bee

I’m not stepping into any Kay’s store anymore… Sorry for saying this but first of all, for the quality of stones they have, mostly EGL or IGI certification which means the specs are at least 2-3 level off, like if they say it’s a G, it most likely mean it’s an I or J (You’re paying for a so called high quality stone, but it’s not). I had my engagement ring custom made by Kay’s thinking that they’re reputable… Asked for an 18k rose gold with milgrain(they even said they couldn’t make the milgrain, but suddenly were able to when we almost decided to cancel the order) etc. My husband had to come back and forth to check on it… once we received it, it didn’t look anything like how we wanted! And they gave it to us in 14k not 18…they called the jeweler and asked why, he said it’s because they don’t make 14k rose gold… They even lied saying no jewelry store in America make 18k rose gold, and that they’re most likely coated in 18k rose gold. Does that even make any sense? Where do they get the 18k rose gold coating if they couldnt make it at all? Lol and why didn’t they mention this to us in the beginning that they don’t make 18k rose gold? I almost cried! And my then fiancé now husband was feeling horrible about it! They wouldn’t even let us return it despite it being their fault! We had decided to have my ring remake (custom made) by Adiamor (also where we got our diamond) and I was so happy with the result! I contacted Kay’s through FB, and after all the e-mails, we were finally able to return it, & decided to return it to a different Kay’s. We also saved at least $800 by having Adiamor custom make it in 18k! Here’s the before and after photo. Top photo was my inspiration, left ring is by Kay’s (does it look anything like it? Not really lol), right ring is by Adiamor. Also posting my NOW ring. adiamor also made it within 3 weeks! I didn’t see any mold or CAD model, just wanted it done ASAP. 2 weeks if you pay extra.

My ring now.

Post # 35
    1111 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    Beautyandthebusiness:  if you could you should try one of those online jewelers like blue Nile, adiamor, James Allen etc. I definitely recommend adiamor especially the price even if it’s custom made! You could show them the photo and all. If you do go with Kay’s, hopefully you won’t end up having such a bad experience. I’ve always heard that when they first purchase a non custom made ring it’s ok, the problem occurs once they have to send their rings back for resizing or getting the diamond fixed etc. good luck though!

Post # 36
    2868 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I would’ve rather not bought from Kay, but I fell completely in love with my ring and that was it, had to have it.  I think one issue is that you do overpay for what it’s technically worth, but I was willing to pay their price because I loved it so much. 

I did have issues with them when I got my rings engraved and had to have it redone like three times… so my advice is if you ever send the ring in to their workshop, just be EXTREMELY specific about what you want done.  I’ve never had a problem with the customer service in store etc.  The staff are friendly and they did give me a $50 gift card for the inconvenience of it all. 

I definitely recommend purchasing the ESP or whatever they call the warranty thing.  I ended up having to get my rings sized up, and they’d already been sized up from the stock size, so since it was more than a full size from their original size, they had a whole new set made for me by Neil Lane in the correct size to avoid problems with the pave etc., because I had the coverage.  It also makes it free to replace any pave that falls out or anything like that as long as you go every 6 months to have it checked. 

LONG STORY SHORT: Yea theoretically it’s probably better to buy from a nice independent jeweler, but if you found your ring at Kay, go for it 🙂

Post # 37
    1111 posts
    Bumble bee

the thing is that, even if you do get extremely specific, the misunderstanding part could be between the staff and the jeweler. Most of the time they only talk to the jeweler through phone, or well sometimes (I guess depending on which Kay’s), the jeweler will just do what he/she wants. I really do hope you don’t experience what some have, it’s definitely hearts breaking if it’s the most important jewelry of your life.

Post # 38
    2868 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    Mrs.DK:  Oh no, for sure, your issue goes far beyond just specifics.  I just meant in smaller cases, like I wanted the writing for the engraving facing a certain direction, and centered, and in script.  I assumed it was obvious that it would be centered, but when I said in the opposite direction from the 14K stamp (as in, upside down from it), they took that to mean the opposite side, and had it off to the side.  So just things like that.  So I made sure when I had my rings soldered together that I specified that it be done so the 14K stamps both face the same way.  Seems obvious to me, but not worth the potential mix-up. 

Post # 39
    1111 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    loving_life:  yeah I understand. I think most people also end up having problems when they get their ring resize or have the diamonds tighten up etc. you’re drfinitely one of the lucky ones lol.

Post # 40
    241 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

View original reply
    Mrs.DK:  I love your ring it’s gorgeous. 

Post # 41
    1111 posts
    Bumble bee

Thanks! 

View original reply
    oOmrsstopaOo. I’m actually deciding on a diamond wedding band to pair it with for our hawaii wedding ceremony next year! :). Although we are already married through court and currently wearing a plain 18K PG band with a word saying “taken” in 18k YG that hubby gave me a few years ago for my birthday Lol.

Post # 43
    9071 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2012

I have two rings from Kays, my class ring and a ring my father bought me on a whim. Kays has always taken care of them, they are beautiful and I have never had a single issue with them.

Post # 44
    2868 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    Beautyandthebusiness:  yes they will solder rings.  I’d suggest you deal with a regular store not the outlet now that you’ve purchased it though; probably better customer service. You’ll have to ask if they’ll solder a ring from a different place, but id think so… (You could also contact corporate customer service about that question; I’m sure its a blanket policy). I’m so glad you got your dream ring!

Post # 45
    304 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I have a few pieces from Kays: a awesome citizens watch, earrings, and a bead. Personally it’s a personal choice, just with whatever option you go with, make sure you spend the extra money and perchase the replacement plan. 

The topic ‘Key jewelers’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors