(Closed) Kids & Bedroom Sizes

posted 7 years ago in Home
Post # 3
238 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Haha don’t worry about it. My house growing up was the same way, and when my mom decided it was time to move her office out of the small room and give my sister and I our own rooms, I was the oldest and jumped at the chance to move out of the bigger room. I saw the bigger room as the “kids” room and was psyched to have the chance to furnish and paint a “new” room for myself. Plus the “new” room was colder all the time, because it was smaller, which was definitely a HUGE plus for me (this is a year-round issue in Florida).  You will probably find that this is an issue that will solve itself, especially if you let the kid that chooses the smaller room get a new furniture set ;o)

Post # 4
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

We had different sized rooms growing up and 3 kids. I was the youngest, so I got the smallest. I just always accepted it, it never really bothered me.

Post # 5
309 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Ha! I’m the oldest and got the small room, since the big one was right across from my parent’s bedroom.  It didn’t really bother me until high school, when I staged a coup and forced my sister to trade me for the bigger room : )  It seemed fair, she had had it for 10 years by then and she took it back four years later, when I went off for college.

Post # 6
46334 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

As my Dad used to say to me “Nobody promised you life would be fair”.

When the time comes , it might not be a problem at all as the kids may decide themselves. If they don’t, do a draw and the results determine who gets which room.

Post # 8
2867 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Our bedrooms are closer in size than yours but we’re making the smallest one the nursery and it will remain the nursery. If we have more than one kid and we’ll move the oldest out.

Depending on the age difference it may not matter as much but you could always make the larger of the two a bedroom/playroom so both the kids can use it. Or you could do it like a sorority and have one room (the smaller one) be the room where they sleep and the larger one where they play.

Post # 9
3982 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I always had the smaller room and I was the oldest. But, alot of the had to do with the fact that my sisters are twins and had to share a room. For years all 3 of us where is a room smaller than my apartment bedroom now and we didn’t think anything of it. It was all we knew! Of course, when we moved and suddenly there were 3 bedrooms instead of 1, I got the bigger one and each of the twins got their own smaller one. (seriously, my bedroom was HUGE! I think it was supposed to be a den with a door but oh well!)

Post # 10
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

I was the youngest and always had the smaller room. I never remembered it being a problem.  My parents also used to say that “life isn’t fair” when something like that came up.

Post # 11
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Remind the youngest that his college savings has had longer to accrue interest and grow, so that makes up for the smaller room ;-). But seriously, even the smaller room is still a good size – larger than the secondary rooms ever are where I live, so I wouldn’t worry about it!

Post # 12
3943 posts
Honey bee

The oldest gets the bigger room. When they move out or go to college, child #2 can get the bigger room.

I shared a room with my sister until I graduated college and moved out. I would have killed for my own room, even a small one.

Post # 13
317 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I was an only child so it was never a worry with me!

Here’s my situation to give you an idea.

I have a 9 year old boy and 2 step-daughters 2.5 and 6, and we’re expecting in October, Oy Wink

Anyways the girls we have every other weekend so it isn’t such a full house all the time!

We actually just put an offer on a house today and I just ask our agent for the room measurements, this is a very small house but the rooms are all different.

2nd Bdrm – 9×10

3rd Bdrm – 11×9

4th – 11×11

The girls share a room with bunkbeds, and with the weird set-up (sliding glass door in the 4th) we’ll have to think about whether or not we put the baby in there too.  Cameron will have his own room, he’s the oldest and the only boy.

Post # 14
6893 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

I had the smaller room because my brothers always shared the larger room. Matter of fact they still share (in their teens) even though I moved my stuff out of my room long ago. No worries, it’ll work out.

If it’s really an issue (and you have the money) if the rooms are next to eachother you could just knock out the wall between them and put it in a place that makes it more “even” if that’s even possible (since I dk the situation). If not, they’ll still get over it. haha.

The topic ‘Kids & Bedroom Sizes’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors