(Closed) Kids- sit with family or kids table?

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: So where are the kids sitting?
    Kids table! : (12 votes)
    16 %
    With their family! : (52 votes)
    71 %
    Kids free wedding! : (9 votes)
    12 %
  • Post # 17
    1108 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

Kids will be sitting with their families, but I will be making the tables such that families with kids will be seated together, so that there will be a few kids at those tables.  All of the kids coming to our wedding are family members (cousins, and kids of cousins) so it’s easy to do this.

Post # 18
    10451 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2014

I think the kids table idea is more work than it seems. I was at a wedding reception banquet last weekend and they did a kids table (6-12 year old range). The parents of those children spent more time hovering over the kids table supervising them than they did at their own tables. Didn’t look like much fun for those parents!

Post # 19
    3723 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

@cirk:  I’m having kids at my wedding and they will be seated with their parents. That will best ensure they are well-behaved.

Post # 20
    911 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013 - The Down Town Club, Philadelphia

We are having a kids table, for kids ages 6-12. It helps that they are all cousins, so they are ALWAYS at the kids table together. But there will be a few kids from other families mixed in. They will have activity books, and their own menu. Also, we have a magician to entertain them for a little bit. (He’s actually there for our cocktail hour, but then he’ll hang at the kids table for a bit.)

The kids that are 6 and under will be with their parents.

Oh, and also, the kid table will be between tables where their parents are seated. 

I think it will work out just fine.

Post # 21
    507 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I couldn’t vote as my option isn’t there.  We are having lots of kids at the wedding and they will sit wherever they want.  We aren’t having assigned seating.  I’m guessing some will sit with their parents and some will sit with their friends.  Or they will be off playing lawn games and won’t even sit at all.

Post # 22
    12244 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2013

We would have had a kids table if our wedding had been bigger–But I generally find that older kids are better than adults at watching the younger kids, playing with them, and keeping them distracted during dinner!

We didn’t use the dance floor at our venue, so my 9 year old brother, 11 year old sister, and 3 year old flower girl spent the entire reception spinning in circles on it! It was SO cute!

Post # 23
    629 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @canarydiamond:  +1 This is what I had in mind for a kids table. Not left to their own devices. Also, probably including child friendly distractions activities.

Post # 24
    4605 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

The few kids that are coming to our wedding will be sitting with their families. Their parents can control them better that way.

Post # 25
    Hostess
    11048 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

To echo comments of others I’ve voted with family so that they’re behaved

Post # 26
    103 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

i’m waiting for my RSVP’s to come in. Right now there are only 3 coming…could be closer to 15 though i suspect…Flagging this for later so i can decide 🙂

Post # 27
    1849 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I think the ideal arrangement would be to seat kids with parents, and then to seat families with children at tables together. Then the kids still have the company of their peers, everyone is supervised, and adults who were hoping for a child-free evening wouldn’t get stuck sitting with kids (sorry, my CBC bias is showing). Everybody wins! 

The topic ‘Kids- sit with family or kids table?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors