(Closed) KONY 2012

posted 7 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
320 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2012 - Wynn Las Vegas/Bouchon Bistro

I’m glad that this issue is being raised. However, people need to do their research about both Kony, the conflict in Uganda, and the IC group.

These are the people behind IC, posing with the SPLA.

Here is an article that explains the history of IC:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/ugandans-criticize-anti-kony-video-campaign-sensation-for-simplifying-a-complicated-history/2012/03/09/gIQAfZIC1R_story.html

Post # 4
2815 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

There are a few threads about this from earlier in the week.  🙂

Post # 5
5543 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

@mole:  This picture is also explained on their website. I think while they may not always go about things the right way, I don’t think anyone with half a brain can say that the world knowning about the horrible things Kony has done and him being brought to justice is bad.

One of the Invisible Children founder guys made a comment on some critque of them about how people are saying that Kony is no longer  a danger to Ugandian people because he got out and only has 500 people now and all this, stating that “Just because we can’t do it all doesn’t mean we should do nothing”. Kony is evil and he needs to know the rest of the world does care. If you look at the ICC most wanted list (basically a list of the slimeyist scum of the earth) there are a lot of men just like Kony who have gotten away with the murder, rape and total perversion of an entire generation in parts of the world where the industrialized “First World” super powers aren’t looking because it doesn’t mean $$$ for us. And if this can let them know that yes, the “First World” is looking, and the “First World” cares and does not find this acceptable, then  maybe a few more little kids can sleep safer tomorrow night. If one child is kept out of the sex trade, or from being made into a psycotic killing machine by these efforts, perfect or not, they are worth it to me.

Post # 7
320 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2012 - Wynn Las Vegas/Bouchon Bistro

@chasesgirl: I’m not saying that the IC is necessarily a horrible organization. I’m just saying that people need to actually research where their money is going and who it is benefitting when making donations to groups. There are many NGOs who are working hard to stop atrocities like the ones affecting these children, so you should choose the one that makes the most sense to you. You shouldn’t blindly donate after only watching one video.

And, since there are always two sides to a story, here’s the reaction of the photographer to that photograph:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/invisible-children-founders-posing-with-guns-an-interview-with-the-photographer/2012/03/08/gIQASX68yR_blog.html

Post # 8
9482 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

@mole:  Agreed.

It’s a terrible situation.  There’s plenty of other places outside of US that experience this as well.  Who says it’ll stop if you stop one man?  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – behind every leader is a follower.

I sincerely wish the children in these horrific situation the best.  I hope a miracle somehow happens and it is stopped for good.

Post # 9
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@Rouquine:  It won’t stop – until the country(ies)’ governments are stabilized, there will always be someone else willing to step into that vacuum. Even the forces that Invisible Children support  (the SPLA) USE CHILD SOLDIERS. It is a slick marketing campaign and nothing more.

Post # 10
9482 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@hisgoosiegirl:  Exactly what Fiance and I have talked about.  I just hate to see people get too wrapped up in this.

Post # 12
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think that Invisible children is using this KONY 2012 campaign to actually promote themselves.

Post # 13
9482 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@bells:  +1

I, unfortunately, knew about such things going on from child psychology class.

Post # 14
1473 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m iffy about this. The thing is, there are SO MANY terrible things that happen to people in foreign countries and here as well, every. single. day. I am all for helping kids and the less fortunate. Honestly. But I feel like we never look at what is happening in our backyard so to speak.There are children going hungry here in America. Children that freeze to death, are beaten to death, children who are abused every way they can be abused. There are thousands of people without homes because of the recent tornado outbreak…are we all giving money to them? Not really. And I think that is sad. I know American’shave a better chnace of being helped than these children, but I still think it’s a scam and EVERYONE should research exactley where their money is going.

However, I am glad that regardless if this is a scam or not, we are now more aware of what is going on over there.

Still, I hate to see first world countries go to war over every wrong doing in other countries.

Post # 15
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@hfrey12:  But the Ugandans themselves have said this is not good for them – the country is relatively peaceful, Kony has been out of Uganda for years (and is possibly DEAD) and now they are worried about backlash from his small army if he is still alive due to his newfound ‘fame’.

@bells:  completely agree.

If you truly want to help, donate to Amnesty International or UNICEF instead. These organizations are on the ground doing a lot more to intelligently help the people.

The topic ‘KONY 2012’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors