(Closed) Labor Day 2013 Wedding???

posted 6 years ago in September 2013
Post # 3
4355 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

If you’re looking to save money double check with venues that they don’t consider the sunday of a long weekend the same rate as a regular saturday. Otherwise congrats! I’m a labor day 2012 bride 🙂

Post # 5
4193 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

If it works for you-book it! Your cousin is correct that not everyone has the next day off-but the vast majority do, and those who don’t will have enough time to take the next day off, if needed.

You can make a long wedding weekend- which is really nice- if you have a lot of out of town guests, you could do a picnic on Saturday, go to a local festival, etc. If your guests have enough notice, then can adjust any tentative plans they might have for the holiday (in our area, a lot of people make it the last beach weekend, for example)

Post # 6
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I am a Sunday of Labor Day weekend bride no real complaints just make sure you give everyone lots of notice most my friends work in retail and in nursing and had to give over 9 months notice to get the holiday off

Post # 7
1963 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I have a friend doing this, and from the perspective of someone who has a full day of driving to get to her wedding I think it’s a great idea! No rush to get out there and drone to get home. I bet at least some of you Out of Town guests will appreciate this like I do.

Post # 9
3720 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

My parents got married on Labor Day. What they found is that it is hard for anyone in education (especially college) and that it is expensive to travel. If everyone is local and wouldn’t be at the beach, go for it. Just know fewer people may come.

Post # 10
882 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Personally I am not a fan of holiday weekend weddings or any kind of event for that matter. I look forward to spending summer weekends at the beach every year since I was a kid, and I know I and most of family and friends groan when we get invited to a wedding memorial day, July 4th, or labor day. But if you know your family and friends don’t have any traditions on LaborDay, then it should be fine!

Post # 11
448 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

@BrooklynWife:  this.

Yes, many people have Labor Day off, but many times people like to use 3-day weekends for little get-away trips. I’ve heard a fair amount of grumbling from guests invited to weddings on holiday weekends. You might also run the risk of some people not showing up at all :/

Post # 12
4355 posts
Honey bee

I haven’t had any complaints, actually some Out of Town people have thanked me (which is 99% of my family). Labor day really isn’t a big deal in Canada, or at least in my circles so it worked out well. Plus everyone had a year and a half to book themselves available if they wanted to be there.

We are having the wedding on saturday and then sunday we are having a day after lunch/bbq at my parents place in order to visit more with Out of Town guests who’ve made the treck. Then people can leave sunday afternoon/monday and not rush out.

Post # 13
2775 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

@BrooklynWife:  

@Mrs.Enne:  

I’m also not a fan Memorial Day, Independence Day, or Labor Day weekend weddings.  I like to have my own plans on those rare long summer weekends.

Post # 14
4355 posts
Honey bee

@sailor:  I didn’t realize the US only had 3 long weekends in the summer. We have one in May, July, August and Sept so no one really does much on the September one except get ready for back to school. In any case, I think everyone has a pretty good feel for their guests so for us it was a no brainer.

Post # 15
2775 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

@MrsSawyer:  Yeah, in the US there are no long weekends in August, and not everybody gets a long weekend for the 4th of July (which falls on a Wednesday this year).

And I agree, each couple is in the best position to know what works for their guests and what doesn’t.

Post # 16
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Im a labor day 2013 bride. I havent had any real complaints.  Just like you said not everyone has a Sunday off either.  There will be some people who may have to take a day or two off from work no matter what day it is.

I do understand that some people like to have holiday weekends for themselves and not attend weddings which is what my cousin said to me. Thats fine, my attitude is dont attend. Its not an obligation. I told her she has had the the last 25 holiday weekends for herself, missing one for my wedding would not kill her but if so she does not have to come, Im completely ok with that.

Its your wedding have it whatever day you want.  If you have certain people you must have attend, then work it out around their schedule. If not, work it out around your own.

The topic ‘Labor Day 2013 Wedding???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors