(Closed) Labor Day Weekend 2009 (Sept 4/5/6, 2009)

posted 10 years ago in San Francisco Bay Area
Post # 3
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I am! I live in an area where vendors tend to book up way in advance on an ordinary weekend, so I’ve been really trying to stay ahead of the game and book things early for the holiday weekend. So far we’ve booked our date with the church, reception venue, photographer, and DJ, and I purchased my dress and am expecting it to come in sometime next month. My to-do list for Jan/Feb includes ordering bridesmaid dresses, booking a florist, and figuring out transportation. I did find that a couple of my first-choice photographers were already booked for our date, but other than that it’s been pretty smooth sailing so far (knock on wood!)

I’m hoping that the long weekend will encourage more of our out-of-town guests to come than might have on a regular weekend… anyone have any experience in whether that’s the case with Labor Day weekend weddings? 

Post # 4
45 posts
Newbee

We’re getting married on the 5th!!  My Fiancee’s birthday is August 28th and mine is September 4th, so we’re only a week apart and always around Labor Day!  After we started dating, we decided to do something special for Labor Day every year for our birthdays, so it only made sense when deciding on a wedding date that sometime around Labor Day would be best!!!

The long weekend actually helps since my Fiancee’s family is from Detroit & Florida and will be coming to Texas for the wedding!  Plus, we get an extra honeymoon day without having to use PTO!  (Accountants think like that)

Our wedding is going to be in my hometown and we booked everything way in advance (not many options to choose from), so we didn’t have any troubles getting any of our venues/vendors for that date.

Post # 5
9 posts
Newbee

we are getting married on the 6th.

we just moved to NY this past summer, and 95% of our guest list is traveling, so it worked out really nicely.  Especially because we have teachers in the bridal party and our families, so having them be able to come for the whole weekend and not just for two days. 

Plans seem to be coming along nicely, but i am procrastinating the catering as if it were the last thing in the world to tackle.  its the only thing thats even begun to stress me out so far (and so far, even that hasn’t had much of an effect on me)  so i think that explains why i’ve been putting it off.  any suggestions?

Post # 6
349 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2009 - Rancho Bernardo Inn

We are getting married the 6th.  I’m hoping to get my STD’s out by the end of the month/beginning of Feb but we will see how it goes.  I’ve already done my hotel blocks because of the holiday weekend.  However, we are hoping that because it is a holiday weekend people will come into town early so we can get some more quality time with all our friends and family.

Post # 7
14 posts
Newbee

We are getting married on the 6th because most of our guests have to travel.  I feel like I have so much to do…on my list for this month is flowers, save the dates, and picking Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses…

If anyone has any insight or tips on emailing save the dates or DIY invites, I would love to hear about it!  I’m having a hard time finding a job since graduation from grad school, so I’m trying to cut costs anywhere I can!

Post # 8
225 posts
Helper bee

Mine is actually on Sept 7! Monday! We really really wanted Sept 6, but it was already taken for our venue of choice. =( Monday of a 3 day weekend is just like a Sunday wedding, right???

We debated having it on Monday before we booked it, but it was available and cheaper than Saturday by far! 

But having it on a MONDAY was a tough choice! What if people decide not to come? Would it be too much of an inconvenience? The location is also about 45 minutes from my home – would it inconvenience all my local relatives (all 100 of them)?? Those are our main concerns. 

@mooreshugar: you need the catering info to get your invitations out! Well, in the event you give food choices – and even then, it’s a good idea. Plus, picking out a caterer means trying all the yummy foods!! =P

@drexalia: we did our own Save-The-Date Cards and are doing our on invites to save money. Tho, I had friends that DIY their invites and it really didn’t cut costs – you gotta be careful with those! Because of the holiday weekend, and because of opportunity, we printed a few Save-The-Date Cards and just handed them out during our engagement party. We also have a wedding website, so we just put it up on there. For everyone else, it will be e-mail STDs! (I call it going GREEN). 

And with our invites, buy large paper and use a paper trimmer to cut it down to size. Don’t forget to think about paper weight for cost of stamps. On the same line, postcard RSVPs – no envelopes and cheaper stamps. 

GOOD LUCK!

Post # 9
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

We’re getting married on the 6th on Cape Cod.  I am so excited.  We basically have everything important planned but we did it all within the first month of being engaged because we were worried about the Cape and Labor Day!  Yay Labor Day Brides!

Post # 11
405 posts
Helper bee

September 5, 09 here!

lizzyh113: I’m jealous! We got engaged on Cape Cod & if we had the money I’d definitely get married there!

Haven’t run into any issues YET, but will now that I said something! haha

Post # 12
37 posts
Newbee

We’re getting married on the 5th! We really haven’t run into any problems yet..and we’ve booked our place, hotel, dj, photographer…all we have left really is flowers and cake so far as vendors go.

I was surprised to find that places around me had that Saturday open. And no one has expressed any big issue with us taking up their holiday weekend!

Post # 13
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

grumpybear722:  That is so sweet, we also were engaged on the Cape!  

We are doing our best to throw a fun wedding and not go crazy with the cost.  Most of our family is from the Boston area so it doesn’t require too much travel.  We are pitching a tent and trying to do a lot of do-it-yourselfs…I figure that is okay because nothing says the Cape like shabby chic!

Post # 14
13 posts
Newbee

Congrats, Labor Day weekend brides!!  I’m getting married on September 6th in Madison, WI.  We are running into some trouble with hotels becuase the 5th is the first UW Badger game of the season.

What colors are you doing? Are you doing a summer or fall theme?

I’m doing black and white with purple and pink accents.

Post # 15
37 posts
Newbee

Emmy –>The hotel issue sounds tough! That’s going to be a lot of sports fans ready to party with you :op

Our hotel let us know that there’s a peewee hockey tournament going on that weekend…so we’ll have a bunch of little kids. Should be interesting!!!

Our colors are eggplant, cream and hints of lighter purples and pinks as accents.

Post # 16
9 posts
Newbee

@ms tofu: we are having the "most laid back yet still stylish" wedding of the century (in my honest opinion ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) and therefore are having really casual, comfort type foods served family style!  No need to wait on the RSVPs ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘Labor Day Weekend 2009 (Sept 4/5/6, 2009)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors