(Closed) Lanlord & tenant laws!

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
2030 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

The California Tenant;s Guide is here: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

It seems that each renter is governed by the terms of their individual contract, so if your contract says you may have a pet, then you can, but another renter’s agreement may prohibit pets.

In my personal experience in Illinois, my landlord universally refused to allow anyone to have a pet. I asked for an exception because he trusted me. He said he wished he could allow me to have a pet but would not because it would cause his other tenants to be angry. He never said it would be illegal. 

Post # 4
257 posts
Helper bee

I know some landlords prohibt only certain types of pets. could that be the case?

Post # 5
5494 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2011

the short answer is yes.  your rights/duties and obligations are governed only by your individual lease agreement with the landlord and is not dependent on his agreement with other tenants.  take a look at your city’s housing board and municipal code for more details.

(ps.I’m an attorney and i used to work exclusively in landlord/tenant litigation in CA.)

The topic ‘Lanlord & tenant laws!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors