I facepalmed. Hard. Not at you [OP], but at the idea of this.
We live in a society where everything is bad for you these days. You can’t drink water, it might have microbial pathogens in it!
You can’t look at a microwave in use, you’ll get cancer!
You can’t eat canned soup, because of BPA!
You can’t eat cold cuts while pregnant… bacteria!
I 10,000% understand that everyone (or mostly) wants to be as healthy as they can be and they want to cut down on unnecessary harmful elements in our life. Whether that be switching or organic food, or moving out of a city/state/country/whatever that produces harmful elements like coal factories, or living next to a cell phone tower.
I so very much understand that.
But living in a society where you go, “I can’t do X because I’ll get Y.” is silly.
Electromagnets are literally everywhere. So is radiation. Ever been to Grand Central Station? GCS is made of granite and granite is naturally radiactive. Just standing in the building gives you higher doses of radiation than an X ray does. See what I mean? The world is naturally toxic, but not everything toxic is going to harm you.
I did a quick google search and I came up with this:
“How to reduce EMF exposure and its unhealthy effects?
The good news is that there are a number of ways to reduce your exposure to EMFs:
- Keep all electric appliances out of the bedroom (clocks, TV’s, computers, stereo, electric blanket). This is extremely important. However if it is not entirely possible (e.g. you live in a studio) ensure that all appliances are at least two metres away from the bed, and that no electrical wires run underneath the bed;
- Make sure that you move your bed if there are electrical appliances plugged in on the other side of the wall where your bed head is located. This is especially important if they are large devices such as computers, televisions or fridges;
- Replace your alarm clock with a battery-operated device;
- Always sit more than 1.5 metres away from television sets;
- Do not use or own a microwave, and be sure never to look through the doors of a microwave oven in operation or stand in the same room when one is in use;
- Avoid taking jobs or living in areas where EMF exposure could be high;
- Where possible, try to locate bedrooms towards the rear of the house—this will dramatically reduce the exposure from power lines at the front of the house;
- Move your bed away from an external wall that has an electric hot water heater or a fuse box on the other side;
- Rearrange your office and home areas so that you are not exposed to electromagnetic radiation from the sides/backs of electric appliances and computers;
- In the home, it is best that all major electrical appliances, such as computers, TVs, refrigerators etc, be placed up against outside walls;
- Ensure that you do not sit too close to your computer;
- Replace VDU monitors with flat screens;
- Wear a mini Rayonex in your pocket and for extra protection a QLink device—these have been show to protect against radiation, reducing its impact on the body. Email us for more information.
- Install a circuit disconnection switch to eliminate electric fields from your sleeping area. These are highly recommended for your bedroom as well as children’s rooms and nurseries;
- Turn OFF and unplug appliances when not in operation. Devices with a remote control that are simply put on ‘stand-by’ are still drawing current and radiating;
- If you suspect problems, or just for peace of mind, you may wish to have an electromagnetic survey done in your home. This is especially recommended for people with long standing fertility problems and/or suffering from miscarriages;
- Completely avoid all sun beds and solariums;
- Consider moving if you live (or work) near a transmitter, electricity substation or high voltage power lines;
- Turn off your computer monitor if you are in front of it but not using it for long periods of time, also maximise your distance from the monitor when not in use;
- Be aware that computers emit the highest levels of radiation from the back and sides—consider this at your workplace especially if you are sitting in close proximity to other computer operators as the sides and backs of their computers may present a hazard.
- Laptops emit greater radiation than PCs when plugged into power. Use your laptop on battery wherever possible;
- Never work with your laptop on your lap, heat and radiation will be increased around the region that matters most—this is undesirable;
- To absorb some of the radiation, place containers of Epsom salts in front and at the sides and back of your computer, when the crystals become powdery it’s time to replace them;
- Potted plants (e.g. peace lilies) are wonderful for absorbing radiation and purifying the air. Place some potted plants next to your computer, around the office and in your home. See more information about plants as an ‘anti-radiation device’ in Gabriela Rosa’s natural cleaning book: The Awful Truth About Cleaning Products And Fertility Exposed;
- Ensure your bed does not have a metal frame;
- Replace waterbeds (see http://www.tempur.com—for the best mattress you could ever sleep on);
Finally, here are some ways you can avoid static electricity, which can also be detrimental to health and fertility:
- Avoid wearing rubber-soled shoes and choose leather wherever possible. Rubber soles and synthetic carpets can create a high level of static build up in the body;
- Always choose natural fibres for clothing and furnishings in order to reduce static build up;
- Other things or situations that can create static electricity include—computers, photocopiers, hair dryers, synthetic clothing and furnishings, and cars and dry winds.” Here is my source for this list.
Just skimming though a few of these…. avoid static electricity? Don’t use computers, photocopiers, hair dryers, synthetic clothing, cars or DRY WINDbecause you might have a buildup of static electricity? This is ridiculous. You might as well live in a bubble away from the big bad world because everything is out to get you.
I don’t mean to mock, or belittle you, OP, but I think you’re being hyper sensitive to an issue that exists, but essentially doesn’t because the chances of it effecting you are so, so, so minutely low. Radiation is everywhere. Unless you live in an iron box, you cannot escape it. I would not worry about laptops and your fertility.