(Closed) Last minute passport help!!

posted 6 years ago in Names
Post # 3
1370 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I’ve only ever shown my passport, never more ID. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.


Post # 4
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’ve ever only had to show my passport.

Post # 5
4354 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Only passport.

Post # 6
9952 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Hi @Pupperoni: 

Lol, your issue won’t be getting into Canada… so much as getting back into the USA (they are the folks who require the Passport for entry… as an American Citizen all you need to come to Canada “technically” is your Birth Certificate and Driver’s License (or other picture Gov’t issued ID).  Although a Passport will trump all that… and it is ALL that you’ll need to present to get into Canada.

I assume you are coming to Canada for your honeymoon… or shortly thereafter. 

So the Border Guards (both US & Canada) are familiar with this situation, where married folks (men or women) may not have the same last name as on their current Passport… they may or may not ask to see more ID to support that you are who you say you are.

When you drive back to the USA…

The US Border folks may also PRESS YOU to go get your Passport renewed (infact they have the right to force you to do this… by confiscating the one you have when you return to the USA) as it doesn’t reflect the legal name you have currently adopted.

But that would be a RARE circumstance, them taking it.

More than likely, they will sternly tell you that this is a Government Issued Piece of ID that MUST BE UP TO DATE… and that you need to do it asap once you are home (rather than wait until it expires again)

Getting a reissued Passport is like any other reissued piece of ID after a marriage name change… a bit of a hassle (more time and effort than actual work).

More so if one is a Canadian vs an American… and I know this because I have to go thru the process as well after my upcoming marriage.  But in the US it is a lot easier than in Canada, because you guys have the Name Change Option (lower costing) while us Canadians have to go thru the process of getting a WHOLE NEW Passport (not just a renewal) as we have no Name Change option here.

Hope this helps you… and anyone else who may look at this topic for this kind of info in the future…

Post # 7
344 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Last year the US changed their border rules: you must have a passport (either a US or Canadian one) to cross either border. Previous to that, you did not need to have a passport.

You don’t need to have another piece of i.d.

If your passport is expired, then you need to bring another piece of government-issued i.d. (eg: birth certificate + expired passport).

Hope that helps!

ps: welcome (soon) to Canada!

Post # 8
9952 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Hmmm @Double_rainbow: info above is incorrect

It is true the rules for entry into Canada have changed… but it wasn’t last year it was June 1, 2009.

Entry Changes for the USA changed in 2007 (Passport mandatory)

You cannot easily regain entry into the USA on an Expired Passport… they will harass you !!

You could end up having an extended delay if you attempt this.

You don’t NEED other pieces of ID to cross back and forth across the border between our two countries… but it is a good idea to have some on hand (more so in the situation that you initially described).

When it comes to Newlyweds, as I said, the Border Guards are used to seeing this sort of thing (they realize that it can take awhile before one gets all the name change paperwork completed… so one isn’t going to have that the day after they marry). 

BUT it is also THE  LAW that your Passport be up to date if you are using it and it must have your LEGAL NAME on it.  This is particularly an issue, if one is doing any travel between the two countries by public transit (so flying to and from the USA, taking a cruise, bus or train).  Then it is IMPERATIVE that you have additional ID to prove you are who you say you are (ie Passport says Miss Jane Doe, but the Tickets say Mrs Jane Smith).  This is also when having a copy of one’s Marriage Certificate can come in handy



Post # 9
46675 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

It’s so easy to find the correct information online.

I suggest US Customs and Border Protection for returning to the states:


and Canada Border Services for entry to Canada:


I don’t sense that you would get a lot of sympsthy if you had the wrong ID and told the border guard that “a bee told me I didn’t need anything else”.


The topic ‘Last minute passport help!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors