(Closed) Lawyer Bees… a little help here? Name change issue…

posted 4 years ago in Names
Post # 3
91 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I’m pretty sure that the marriage itself is a legal name change. SSA and DMV are just updates – changing your name at SS and DMV is not legally changing your name, but updating your records on the basis of your marriage certificate, which is evidence of your legally changed name. Change your name through court petition and then update with SSA and DMV. *Not a lawyer 🙂 but I know this

Post # 4
12635 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I would consult an attorney in California.  A lot of places will have free consultations, so you could get real legal advice from real attorneys, and not people on an internet forum.

Post # 6
1928 posts
Buzzing bee

In Canada you have a year after your marriage to assume your husbands name or vise vera. What’s written on the certificate is irrelevant. I’m not sure what the laws are in your state though.

The topic ‘Lawyer Bees… a little help here? Name change issue…’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors