(Closed) Lawyer bees – I need your input!

posted 6 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
159 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

What state do you live in? That will make a difference as family law is different from state to state.

First off, I doubt the child support is owed to you. It is owed to your mother/parent. So, you cannot untether him from the child support obligations, nor should you. Your family had to deal with raising you without his support, and while it is unfortunate that he has been jailed for failure to pay, it is still his obligation.

Second, his paying or not paying has no impact on your visitation with him.  If you choose to see him, fine. If not, he cannot make you. Only a judge can. If you are legally an adult, it is unlikely even a judge could make you.

Again, depending on the state you live in, it will change how to go about ensuring he does not contact you. In IL, there are several different types of civil orders that you could start to get him to leave you alone. If he is not threatening you, however, your options may be limited. Most ‘protective orders’ require something more than an annoying relative. You should start by telling him to stop contacting you. Then, if he continues, he could be guilty of telephone harassment.

As far as him contacting your childhood home, please have your family tell him to stop calling. They can then pursue the same course as above if he continues.

Maybe he needs to hear you tell him you don’t want a relationship with him. IDK, but good luck!

Post # 5
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I am not a licensed attorney, but it is very likely that your dad and mom can jointly petition the court to reduce or completely waive his past due child support payments, which would mean he wouldn’t owe anything. If you’re interested, you should either talk to a local attorney for more specifics in your state or ask the court’s clerk’s office if they have any standard petition forms your mom could fill out. Your mom would probably have to show up in court to tell the judge in person that she does not want or need the money.

Can you and your mom just change phone numbers? Courts take a long time and even if you were able to get some kind of court order against him it’d be pretty hard to enforce. Unfortunately, the police usually don’t have the time to personally track someone down to make sure they stop harrassing people.

Good luck!

The topic ‘Lawyer bees – I need your input!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors