(Closed) Lawyer Bees- when does the change of name happen?

posted 9 years ago in Names
Post # 3
297 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2018 - The Grand Old House, Grand Cayman

I went to Social Security first.  Look on their website or call them to see what you need to bring in addition to your marriage certificate.  Then I went to the DMV (called them beforehand too to see what I should bring).  That’s the easy part.  Changing your name for every credit card, account, subscription, etc. is the hard part! 

Post # 4
18637 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

The name change occurs when you want it to.  When you want to change your name, you take your marriage license to social security and then the DMV.  After you get your SS card and DL, you can go about changing your name on every account, magazine, and subscription you have (it is definetly a pain!)

Post # 5
5271 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

I live in Texas and I went to the SS office and then to the DMV.

You must bring your marriage license to the SS office & a form of identification. I brought my SS card, but they didn’t need it. Then they give you a letter proving that you changed your name. You can take that letter to the DMV (you don’t need to wait for your new SS card) along with your marriage license and its $10 for a new drivers license.

Post # 6
3331 posts
Sugar bee

I don’t know how it works in Texas, but I was told here that I had to sign the name I was planning on going by on my marriage license.  This was then my “proof” when I went around to SS to officially change my name with them.  You might want to check when you sign the license.

Post # 7
635 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

You use your marriage certificate to show that you were married AND that your name changed.  I’m not sure what a marriage cert in TX looks like, but in same states, it has a a place to enter your last name after marriage – some places (like where I am in NJ) has nothing on the license about your name – but you need to use your marriage license to prove that you were married, which gives you permission to legally change your name.

As for using it in social situations – just start using it!  Inform your work that it has changed, and let your friends know that you’re going to start using it.  I legally changed my name a few years ago, and the hardest part is getting everyone else to remember that you have a new last name, regardless of what your driver’s license or social security cards says.

Post # 8
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I know at work, in order to change someone’s name in our systems, we need a copy of the social security card with the new last name since that is what’s reflected with Homeland Security.

Post # 9
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Ok, lawyer here.  Getting married does not by itself change your name.  For example, some women choose not to change their names on marriage, and that is perfectly legal.  However, because so many women do change their names on marriage, the Social Security Administration and other governmental entities (at least in the US) will accept a marriage certificate as proof of a name change, if you present it to them and tell them you have changed your name.

Theoretically, your name changes when you start using the new name.  However, as a practical matter, you want to make sure that all documentation of your name change occurs at pretty much the same time.  For example, if you change your name at work, and receive a Form W-2 in your new name, before your name is changed with the Social Security Administration, the IRS will bounce back the Form W-2 because the name on it does not match the Social Security number on it.  Similarly, if you are traveling abroad shortly after your marriage, you may want to have your airline tickets issued in your maiden name, since you will not have had time to get your passport changed to your married name.

The only real limitation on when you do your name change documentation (other than trying to get it all done within a short period) is that the Social Security Administration will raise questions about a name change in connection with marriage if you do not apply for it within two years after the marriage.

The topic ‘Lawyer Bees- when does the change of name happen?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors