(Closed) LDR Brides: When you moved, who & how much?

posted 7 years ago in Long Distance Relationships
Post # 3
143 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I havent’ moved yet -still researching my options, but I’m relocating about 1900 miles (midwest to west coast) and so far it looks like a U-Haul rental or a Pod will cost about the same (approximately $1300) – but the U-Haul price doesn’t include gas. I think if you use a company, the price may depend on whether or not you are moving to/from a big city. Can you drive your car or do you need it to be transported?

Good luck – moving is such a pain! But at least it means the distance part of the relationship is almost over. Smile

Post # 4
328 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@Miss Stella: I’ve been trying to crunch numbers for the possibility of moving, as nothing is set in stone just yet. U-Haul is the cheapest way it seems, or possibly doing the Pods storage that can ship it to your specific location. I think that was the slightly cheaper option at about $999. Still, a lot of money.

I’d just try checking out everything U-Haul, Budget, Pods, and there may be other moving companies out there that will move it if it’s not much. If you find any good deals, please share.

I’m trying to save about $350-400 a month to get enough cash for moving and covering deposit fees and such. But if you’re making the move, stress to him he needs to be setting aside funds, and if the worst happens, he has some extra cash to help you out on the move. Is he going to be joining you on the trip ? Or are you driving solo?

Post # 5
2116 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I moved to Australia from Chicago for a year and in a week we’re moving to Chicago form Australia, we sold all of our things/donated/gave it away because the cost to move things to other hemispheres is more than it would be to buy new things!

Post # 6
334 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I am trying to figure this out, too. It will coincide with me completing my Masters, so I am anticipating that my parents will chip in a bit.

International moves are very expensive. But on the bright since I am a student: I have little furniture that I would want to keep. My only must-move-with-me item is my awesome desk chair. <3

Post # 8
3314 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Hehe!  My husband moved here to California from The Netherlands in Europe.  Luckily he’s one of those guys that is a minimalist, so he was able to fit everything he wanted into our suitcases.  For that distance, it’s not worth moving furniture.  lol  Oh and add in immigration costs to our LDR costs, wedding costs, etc.  πŸ™‚

Post # 10
1109 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I use to work for a moving company, and a lot of them will give you a free quote. Stevens Van Lines, United, Atlas, Redball, Wheaton. You probably have an agent or two in your area! 

Post # 11
566 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Good luck! I was extremely fortunate to be moved by my new company, so I don’t have a ton of information for you on the move itself.

But I might be able to save you $300 in late fees by telling you to research the auto registration requirements for your new state. I arrived in the state the day before I started my new job, which was a really dumb thing to do, because I had no chance to go to the DMV right after I began working (no vacation time! and the DMV is open only Monday through Friday!)

Long story short, I had to pay late fees and penalties for not registering my car within 20 days of moving. What kind of stupid rule is that? Oh right, the kind that generates money for the state, ugh.

So excited for you!

Post # 12
1109 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@Mrs.Oat:  Thats a really good point! When I moved I paid about $130 to switch my registration and plate over. But here it goes by the year, make & model of your car. (not sure why) and if you still owe on it or not.   Also here in LA you need a “brake tag”- which is only like 10 dollars, but it just shows you had your car checked out by a mechanic and its okay for the road.

Post # 14
1573 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

have you thought of just selling your stuff; lot easier, you’re building a new life together may as well start your new life with new stuff; buy new stuff from the money you sold your stuff for; there’s still all that gas you pay for in the moving truck

I sold all my stuff on craigslist and in 3 yard sales, donated or gave away the rest, I’d say I made over $1000 plus my car for $11,000, and brought 5 bags of clothes with me to England; and paid air ticket  and $50 for each extra checked in bag so an extra $150 on top of airfare

I just left two small boxes with a sister and my rocking chair with a brother; but my whole life was in 5 bags

Post # 15
568 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I am moving from LA to Milwaukee and whatever does’t fit into my teeny tiny Beetle is getting either donated or sold.  To me, it is not worth the thousand dollars plus to transport my things.  If I had more expensive things I might reconsider but I don’t so it doesn’t matter to me.  I kind of want to start fresh with FH anyways. 

Post # 16
1209 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I will be moving after the wedding (FI is also moving from where he is currently living, but it will be well before the wedding so he will already be settled). Unfortunately, his company will pay for his moving expenses, but not mine. We’re considering having him sell most of his furniture (mine is nicer anyway, lol) and then using the moving $ to pay for my move/things. It sounds like it’ll be ~$2000 to use a company similar to Podz and then I will be driving my car out there. Renting a U-haul with a trailer for a car seems to be about the same price, excluding gas costs. I’m dreading the moving process!

The topic ‘LDR Brides: When you moved, who & how much?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors