Leaving kids in the car? Poll.

posted 2 years ago in Parenting
  • poll: Would you leave an 11 year old and baby in a car alone for a few minutes?
    No. : (117 votes)
    44 %
    Maybe, depends. : (88 votes)
    33 %
    Yes. : (60 votes)
    23 %
  • Post # 106
    380 posts
    Helper bee

No, I would not have left my kids in the car.

You do realize that because the windows were down, literally anyone who wanted to could have reached into the car, snatched either (or both) of them and taken them, right?

Don’t feel bad, you made a mistake, but I HIGHLY suggest you reconsider ever leaving your kids in the car. 

I consider this before every situation: if it isn’t worth the worst case scenario, don’t do it. 

Post # 107
    55 posts
    Worker bee

The kids are fine, you’re fine. Nobody is a perfect parent,I would just let it go and maybe rethink it next time

Post # 108
    1458 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2019

Personally, I would not because I’m paranoid about children being kidnapped. It sounds like you’re really sorry for doing it so hopefully nothing bad will happen. And since the lady calling doens’t have all the facts (how long you were in the store), that might help if the police call. If you were in for 5 minutes, there’s probably cameras in the store or outside that the police can have checked to validate what you are saying which will help your case if they call. 

Post # 109
    1331 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2019

I’ve sometimes left my dog in the car to run in to a store. I have push-start, so I can take my keys with me and I can leave the car running with heat or A/C. I can also lock the doors, and no one can drive away with it even if they were able to get in because the fob is outside of the car.

I don’t think I would leave two kids in the car on a warm day unless the A/C was on and doors were locked, and only for a few minutes tops.

As far as generally letting an 11 year old watch a baby for a few minutes, I don’t see any issues with that.

Post # 110
    1255 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2017

Disclaimer that I don’t have kids yet, but depending on the maturity level of the 11 year old, and the fact that you could see them the whole time, I don’t really see the problem with this. You were gone a few minutes. You didn’t leave a baby alone. Agree with PPs that the woman was acting in good faith to check on the kids – think about it from her perspective. 

That said, this thread makes me think if I ever am in a similar situation I probably will just head home and go back another time to run the errand. Which is what you’ll do from now on. No harm, no foul. Don’t beat yourself up about it and don’t stress about the woman calling CPS; she most likely won’t and if she does you can calmly explain what happened and that you won’t do it again.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors