(Closed) legally married prior to wedding- name change? HELP!!!

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
13015 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Well, I think you have to sign your marriage certificate in your maiden name, because getting married doesn’t legally change your name.

To qualify for his health insurance (generally), you have to be married (or domestic partners).  This means, you need to have to have the marriage on file and recorded with the State.  So if you sign/file your marriage certificate prior to your wedding, you are married prior to your wedding. 

To change your name, you will have to go to your local Social Security Administration with your certified marriage license.  You get a letter from them (or wait for the new card) and go to the DMV.  The DMV will mail you a new license.  You can then take copies of your social security letter to banks and utility companies to change your name.  You can do your passport with the marriage license and driver’s license. 

From friends who have changed their names recently, two months is enough time.  You can pay expedited fees for passports and other things if you’re nervous about that.

Post # 4
1375 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

COBRA does stink.  Its prohibitively expensive for most people, I think.

You should definitely check with your officiant if he/she can even marry you if you are already legally married. 

The topic ‘legally married prior to wedding- name change? HELP!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors