(Closed) Legally Registering your Foreign Marriage License in US

posted 10 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
8943 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

You won’t be able to change your name without the marriage certificate.  Most of them have your maiden name on them, mine does and it doesn’t need to be changed.

I’m not sure about the legally married thing but I would check with the courts in California before filing as married.

Post # 5
79 posts
Worker bee

try the  U.S. Embassy in London.  They’ve probably dealt with this question before. 

Post # 6
127 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

A legal marriage certificate from the UK office of Births, Deaths, and Marriages should be sufficient for any purposes in the US.  I’ve never heard of such a filing with the courts to recognize it or file it to get a certificate in CA.  While it may be possible, who is telling you such a thing is required and why?

Post # 6
1 posts

View original reply
Cartesienne:  Hi Cartesienne! I realize that this post was 3 years ago, but I am going through the same situation now and am hoping that you can share what the solution was to this issue. I got married in Germany last year (I’m American, my husband is German), but we decided to move back to the U.S. My passport had already been updated to my married name, but the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) won’t let me update my driver license until I have my bilingual (German/English) marriage license “filed” or “registered” in the state of Texas. I have since called the County Clerk’s Office, DPS again, and the Secretary of State, and no one seems to know what I should do. Each agency keeps referring me to another agency. So frustrating!

What was the solution for you? I realize that CA may have a different system in place than TX, but maybe not! I’d really appreciate any tips!

Post # 7
1481 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Your marriage is valid here and everywhere that recognizes the type of marriage you are in. You can use your current marriage documents to chance your name with social security, liscensing, etc, etc.

it is your choice wether or not to have your marriage put on record where you live. It’s not necessary.  

I know this as I was married I Mexico both religiously and civilly. I have had no issues with my marriage certificate. My name is changed and my marriage cert has been accepted for all purposes of proving valid marriage. 

The topic ‘Legally Registering your Foreign Marriage License in US’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors