(Closed) Life-Saving Careers & Tough Choices. Basically, am I a bitch??

posted 6 years ago in Relationships
Post # 3
2759 posts
Sugar bee

The problem with that way of thinking is, if YOU were a patient would you want the person in charge of making sure you’re safe bailing on you because he/she is somebody’s husband/wife? Everyone is someone’s something – be it SO, parent, child, etc. We all have people who care about us and want for our safety to be a priority. But one of the beautiful things about our society is there are people like your Fiance (and like my mom, a nurse) who dedicate their livelihoods to making sure those who are weaker or in danger get help and care.

He wants to be in this profession for life, so it’s really something you have to find a way to be comfortable with: he will not always be #1 in his life. He may be #1 in yours, but as someone who will one day swear an oath to put his patients’ lives on the pedestal, he won’t be taking that view.

Post # 4
1064 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

My Fiance and I were just talking about something to this effect (although it was completely different.) We were driving downtown (actually Raleigh also, hi neighbor!) and a lady was running through the street, her dog was loose. My Fiance knew I probably would of jumped out to help her, but he kept going. He said he doesn’t care what it is a child, dog what have you that he wants me to keep myself safe, and not worry about what is happening to them. He said this about 100 times. 

And I do see where you are coming from though, I know my Fiance will take care of himself, and he knows there is only so much he could do before saving himself. I think your Fiance has a big heart, and he is going to make a great Dr.! 

And I realized I’m sorry, we are not medical/life-saving although I want to be. 

Post # 6
2559 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@MissCalifornia:  Nicely said. Everyone is someone’s loved one, and thank goodness for those who are willing to not put themselves first to help others.

Post # 8
2142 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

“I would never consider not putting others lives in front of mine”

Here’s the thing. If he was not the kind of person that thought that way would you love him as much?

My husband is not in any kind of life saving career. But I know that if tragedy was to struck he would make sure that our family is safe. Then he would go back out to help others before helping himself. That’s just how he is. And I agree, I would want him with ME, safe, rather than out there in danger helping others. But if he was the selfish type to think that way he would not be the man I love.

The topic ‘Life-Saving Careers & Tough Choices. Basically, am I a bitch??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors