Post # 1
I figured since I didn’t know I would let others know so they don’t have to go through what I did. I will admit I have become a crazy cat lady, my kitties mean the world to me. Well here is the story…
My Fiance (for the first time!) sent me flowers. I have always loved lilies and he thought he would surprise me with them while he was away on a business trip. They were beautiful pink and white lilies. For some reason I felt nervous allowing the cats around them, didn’t know why, thought I was worrying too much, like I usually do. Well my Fiance came home and we thought the flowers needed more sunlight, the only window that had enough sunlight was the living room picture window (we live in a apartment). While sitting on the couch I noticed my cat had some yellow on her. She brushed up against the flower and got pollen on her, she started to lick it to clean herself and had spread it around. I couldn’t shake the feeling that this couldn’t be good. So we spent some time googling it and low and behold, some lilies can be poisonous if ingested. More research, just ingesting some pollen can be deadly. So great I poisoned my cat! We read some more posts and some said as long as you washed it off they should be ok, but this one post from a veterinarian said we need to bring her into the vet ASAP! So we called the emergency hospital number and they told us we had to bring her right in. So we brought her in and the vet told us we did a good thing bringing her in because lilies are deadly for cats. By the time you see symptoms it could be too late for them. I had to leave her there for 24 hrs! They had to sedate her because she was so scared.
I feel like the most aweful owner ever. How could I not know that it was so serious?! Thankfully she should be ok but they said I need to watch her to make sure nothing is wrong. Because of the IVs her paw was 3 times it’s normal size and they had to shave certain areas, she’s a long hair so it’s really noticable. After all the trauma I had to wash her last night because the other cat keeps hissing at her because of the strange smells she carries now. I can’t believe that the website the flowers were ordered from didn’t have some sort of warning! I mean if hot coffee has to have a warning that it’s hot, why doesn’t a poisonous flower have one! I mean we can’t be the only ones that didn’t know!
Sorry for the rant, I am so mad, upset and guilty I needed to let it all out. Hopefully this will prevent this from happening to someone else.
Post # 3
i just learned about this too & i have two cats!!!! its so weird that its not a well known thing!!
Post # 4
macbeth91512 – Thank you!!! I really thought I was the only one who didn’t know! It was scary how serious the vet was when she was explaining to me what could happen. I mean if it is this serious why don’t more people know. It breaks my heart when I think about what could have happened!
Post # 5
@BookaholicBee: so glad your baby was ok
Post # 6
strange, my cat ate lilies and he’s fine
Post # 7
- Wedding: June 2012 - Franklin Plaza
I know… I honestly didn’t know this until recently either!! My Mother-In-Law told me after I mentioned that Darling Husband had brought me home lilies one day. EEP!
Post # 8
Can I also mention liquid potpourri? i.e the liquid in Glade plug-ins, or scent diffusers.
I had one of those Febreze scented-oil diffusers in the living room. I didn’t realize it, but my cat had been playing with the sticks and had to spend the night at the vet’s. They can ingest it as they groom themselves.
Post # 9
I can’t believe that the website the flowers were ordered from didn’t have some sort of warning! I mean if hot coffee has to have a warning that it’s hot, why doesn’t a poisonous flower have one! I mean we can’t be the only ones that didn’t know!
Why would they have a warning? Obviously coffee has a HOT warning because you’re going to drink it, but being that lilies are not for eating, and they don’t know whether or not you have a cat, they aren’t going to put a warning. That would be like putting a warning on chocolate that says it can be deadly to cats and dogs. We do not keep flowers or plants in the house because of this.
Here’s a list of plants that are toxic to cats (you can also click on the ones that are toxic to dogs and horses or all)–there are almost four hundred of them. Here’s a list of human foods that are toxic, as well.
Post # 10
vorpalette – True lilies are not made for eating but neither are cleaning supplies but those have warnings against consumption for humans and animals. I actually think chocolate should have a warning, I feel like warnings should be placed on things you wouldn’t think are harmful but are. I mean you are ordering a hot coffee, so it’s safe to assume it’s going to be hot, I don’t need a warning to tell me that. I do think it’s unrealistic for me to expect warnings on everything but I do wish I had found out another way instead of the way I did. At least now I know to be extra cautious and won’t allow plants in my house.
I am part glad and extremely sad to know that I’m not the only one who didn’t know about this. I just hope that this will show people to be cautious about what you bring into your house.
Post # 11
Thank you, I have a cat and didn’t know this. I know that some plants are bad for cats but it never occurred to me that I should be careful if my bf buys me flowers or something!
Soo glad your kitty will be ok!! *hugs*
Post # 12
Thank you! She’s acting like herself again which is wonderful. Now if only the other cat will stop hissing at her 🙂