(Closed) Little bride needs some help! Casablanca 2004. Neckline

posted 9 years ago in Dress
Post # 17
504 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Bethanybee:  I’m a wee bit bigger than you (5 feet, 32-25-36) and ordered my Casablanca 2010 with similar modifications, including the neckline of the 1857 and hollow to hem measurements. I was pretty nervous since I had no idea how my dress would end up looking. However, I ended up completely loving it.

It still needs some alterations to make it fit just right, but overall, I couldn’t be happier. Good luck with your dress! I can’t wait to see it when it comes in 🙂

Post # 18
91 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@Bethanybee:  

Thank you so much! I really don’t think you’ll regret it. I felt like a princess and just glamorous in it. Not going to lie, I’ve put it on a few times since the wedding and worn it around the house for an hour or so, lol. It’s too pretty not to!

I missed your Q about the back last night so I’ll post a couple of photos of the back for you. It’s actually quite pretty! I don’t think it detracts from it at all, I think it’s in a way needed with the rest of the back as it is and would look a bit off without it. It goes with the rest of the dress really well.

Here’s one close up, my veil is kind of obscuring it, though. 

Here’s the full back of it (keep in mind how much was altered and at the hips and butt, buttons and other things had to be replaced, and then to add to that, I have the flattest ass ever lol not kidding, I also have no hips, and I was wearing super major padded undergarments for my hips and butt to help fill out the dress since taking more in would have just looked weird, but only so much padding can be added before I look like I snatched Nicki Minaj’s butt sooo my point is, I couldn’t ever quite completely fill the hips or butt out on the dress and it looks a little funny on me back there for that reason and blah blah blah I’ll shut up haha):

Sorry about missing that question in your post last night.

I really think you’ll love the dress. I might be biased, but you’re close in size to me and the way it doesn’t overpower those of us that are petite but it still holds its own and isn’t plain by any means is really great about it.

If you want the off the shoulder, I was told at the bridal shop I bought mine from that it’s absolutely possible to alter it that way, they confirmed it with Casablanca when I asked since I was considering. I would get the little alterations you want. Make the dress yours and spend a little extra to do it. I wouldn’t go through who does the alterations at where you bought yours at, they already said it’s not possible to do off shoulder when PP and I have been told otherwise and that’s not a good sign of where you want to have snipping and stiching on your dress done.

I’d find someone elsewhere who does alterations. Best way is usually word of mouth but that’s not always possible. Angieslist.com might be a good way to find one. Get a list of a few down one day, see if you can make an appointment or set up a general time to come in and talk, bring the catalogue photo of the dress (I have the link if you need it) or if you’re able, the dress, and tell them you’re looking for some small alterations to your bridal gown and heard they do excellent work. Ask if they might have some examples of their work you could see and ask how much work they’ve done with bridal gowns. If all is well, keep on, describe what you’d like done, ask about if they think it’s possible and their ideas for doing it (if you have the dress) and if you like the answer, tell them the timeframe you have and see if that’s okay. If you’re comfy on that person, discuss prices, fittings and finish date.

Also, check other bridal boutiques for alterations. The one where I bought mine and had it altered also did alterations on wedding dresses, Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses, etc. for dreses bought elsewhere.

I think being picky about who does alterations is super important. Like I said, I don’t think you’ll regret the dress at all. I do think not spending a bit of time finding someone with awesome alterations skills that seem like magic is worth it and the regret I can see happening is not doing that.

Sorry for the novel, lol. This dress is just not one that an average person with average talent doing alterations could pull off and I would hate for you to end up with any regrets about your dress, alterations, anything.

Post pictures when you get it?

Post # 19
14 posts
Newbee

I love that this dress can have so many modifications! 

@flyinghearts – I love the changed neckline and that you added a sash..I could definitely see myself modifying that to have both of those aspect as well. Did the off-the-shoulder sleeves ever ride up or bunch? I am worried about that, or my “dancing” being restricted haha which is why I am favoring the tank style but really do love the off the shoulder look.. absolutely stunning! Did you change the back as well? just out of curiousity… I didn’t notice the zipper thing until I saw it brought up on this board, but I thought somewhere I read somebody was replacing it with buttons..

@mrsscribbles – you looked lovely in that dress! And I loved where the ceremony was..I love anything outdoors and that vintage lace look is perfect for a setting like that!

Post # 21
1486 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Bethanybee:  Oh wow, it’s gorgeous!! Yours fits a lot better than mine did upon arrival (I didn’t actually like my dress until about the fifth fitting, lol). I lovvvvvvvvve the lace neckline and back. You look stunning!

Post # 23
1310 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013 - Rustic mill, historical site

It looks amazing!!!!   I wish more designers had the option of customizing stuff like that, mine’s about to go into alterations, and I’m afraid to see the bill at the end  >.<   haha.

Post # 24
817 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Wow, that neckline looks totally different than it did in the larger size!  I didn’t believe it was the same dress, and it looks GREAT!  Being a small bride is a pain sometimes…

The topic ‘Little bride needs some help! Casablanca 2004. Neckline’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors