- 7 years ago
- Wedding: January 2010
It took me a while, but here it is.
My due date was Dec 11… After 7 long days of waiting, my water finally broke, à la Rachel and Ross in Friends – had just convinced Darling Husband to get it on to pop the baby out and water broke as we kissed.
We called the hospital since I had no contractions, and they told us to get over there to assess me. They then sent us home and told us to come back when contractions came or at the latest 24 hours later to get induced.
The next morning, I headed to my appointment with my OB, and she stripped my membranes for the third time in the hopes of avoiding induction with drugs. Contractions started but not strong or regular enough to head back to the hospital.
Went to the hospital 25 hours after my water broke, where I was told that I was going to be induced with oxytocin because it was taking too long and there was a risk of infection to the baby if we didn’t do anything.
My hopes for a natural birth were out the window.
I was hooked up to the IV and nothing happened for 3 hours; and then it hit me with no warning. The contractions were strong and very close together. I managed the pain for 3 hours with my wonderful Darling Husband helping me, but ended up asking for an epidural… which made me sad because it was even more drugs and not what we really wanted.
I had arrived at the hospital dilated at 2.5, and after 6 hours of oxytocin I was only at 3.5 and the nurse asked me to hold on until 4cm. Then the intern came and said that because I was on oxytocin I didn’t have to wait. I loved her! Looking back I loved her even more since it took another 3 hours to get me at 4!
So I got the epidural and life was good again.
Over the next 12 hours, I slowly dilated 1cm per 2 hours, and I was getting more tired and weak as I had barely gotten any sleep since my water broke, and no food since the contraction had started.
I had a fever, baby’s heartrate was slowing down with each contraction and his head was placed in a position which made his descent harder.
After 3 hours at 9 cm, my OB which happened to be on call that day, decided that after those 47 hours of labour, it was time to go get our little guy by c-section because of failure to progress.
So… yeah.. not exactly the nice, natural birth that we wanted, but in the end, we wanted to do what was best for our baby.
Little E is healthy and perfect; was born on Dec.20. I’ll post more later on my c-section recovery, our return home with its joys and challenges.
Here’s my little man.