(Closed) Living w/ parents after wedding & I’m Okay with it. Anyone else?

posted 7 years ago in Family
Post # 3
143 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@Future Couture: OMG- are we twins?! Seriously! My FH and I are living with my parents right now in the guest side of the house (we have a bedroom, bathroom, living room, and our own entrance in/out). My parents love him and he loves them, so it seemed like a no-brainer! We are getting married in Nov. and have been living with them since December. We will be living with them until roughly summer 2012, when we will hopefully buy our own home. We want to start looking for houses right after the wedding. Like you, I refuse to pay almost the same for rent as I do for a mortgage! Seems totally silly! So instead we will live rent free for a little over a year and save as much as we can. We aren’t paying for the wedding, my parents are paying 100%, so we should be totally able to buy a house by summer 2012. People think it’s crazy– my answer is always “have fun renting your apartment FOREVER!” I am 20 now, he is 22, I’ll be 21 by the wedding. I am in my last five weeks of college and have a job lined up for when I graduate- he has been working and saving for 3 years! πŸ™‚

Post # 5
143 posts
Blushing bee

@Future Couture: Same with us- my parents have said we can stay as long as we want! (Which we won’t stay THAT long, but it’s nice to know we aren’t being kicked out). We offered to pay for the added utility costs and/or rent (usually that whole side of the house is sitting empty) but they said don’t worry, they’d rather us put the money towards the house. I will pay for my car insurance and FH pays his own car payment and car & health insurance, and we will buy our own groceries if we want anything that isn’t already purchased. The mini-fridge is a good idea!!! And I totally agree about the privacy- we have enough for now, and I’ll put up with a little less privacy if it means we get into a house sooner! And we both work FT so we aren’t there really except to sleep and shower. And on the weekends we would probably be visiting parents anyway! We go to FH’s house once a week for dinner- we are REALLY close w/ both families, which is nice. It’s so annoying though b/c everyone I mention it to always has the same “ugh that’s a terrible idea” expression about living w/ parents. That, or people that don’t know that’s what we’re doing say stuff like “well it’s not like I’m moving in with my parents or anything” and we’re always like “umm..?” lol! Oh well, every situation is different. Glad you can relate though! 

Post # 7
3049 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

I think it’s great that you’re ok living with your parents now and after the wedding. I’m sure you will be saving a lot of money as well. I could never live with his parents (or mine) though. The boundaries would probably be all off balance if we stayed there. We’re going to rent an apartment. And I’m fine with that. I’m 25 and he’s 22. No need to rush into buying a house… but I refuse to live with his parents πŸ™‚

I think it will be easier for y’all though, since you’re doing it now! You already know what to expect.

Post # 8
2793 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Me too, me too! I’m 23 and Fiance is 25, so we’re just into the start of our careers and still in fairly entry-level jobs (actually, more me than him!). My parents graciously offered us the entire downstairs floor of their house (bedroom, living room, full kitchen, and full bath!) for however long we need after the wedding. We are both still living at home, about a 1/2 hour away from each other, so the traveling to see each other every day has really gotten to us after doing it every day for 4 years. I’m actually really thankful for this situation as it will give us a great opportunity to save for a downpayment without dishing out money for rent. Our only expense to live here will be groceries! My sister did the same thing for about 8 months after she was married, and now they have a beautiful home. We’ve definitely gotten some odd looks, but hey – it’s the plan that is going to work best for us! No shame here!

Post # 9
2091 posts
Buzzing bee

We’re moving into my dad’s house for a few months starting in May. Fiance had unexpected dental costs and that pretty much depleted his savings, so there goes getting our own place right away. My dad is great though, and him and Fiance get along super well so I’m hoping everything will be good, especially as it’s a very temporary solution (we’re hoping to be out by August).

Post # 10
143 posts
Blushing bee

@MrsMaine: No shame here either! I’m thankful to have the relationship with my parents that we feel comfortable enough to live with them! Everything works out for the best πŸ™‚

@Gingersnap: That’s great you two can do that while you work on savings again! I think it helps that it’s temporary- knowing that makes it more worth it and easier when the lack of privacy becomes an issue! (although yours is a lot more temporary than mine right now.. we still have a year(ish))

Post # 11
2091 posts
Buzzing bee

@NJForever: I would go crazy if it were anything longer! We aren’t as lucky as you; we just get a small bedroom and bathroom to ourselves, that’s it.

Post # 13
149 posts
Blushing bee

We are also living with my parents, but for different reasons. My dad is disabled and my mom has two chronic illnesses. My fiance loves my family and understands my need to be here with them. We are looking into buying a home with a casita after we get married, so they can stay in the casita.

Post # 15
284 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Fiance and I live in my dad’s house. He gave us the Master bedroom, that has it’s own bathroom large closet, and a den. When we moved in my dad bought us a fridge, because my cousin was already living with him, and there was no room in the fridge. We used to rent a town home, but realized between renting and having horses we didn’t have enough money to save so that we can buy our own home one day. We were planning to stay here for a few years to save a good amount of down payment, and also do reasearch in where we want to live when we buy our own place.

The topic ‘Living w/ parents after wedding & I’m Okay with it. Anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors