(Closed) Living w/ parents after wedding & I’m Okay with it. Anyone else?

posted 10 years ago in Family
Post # 17
12261 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

We won’t be living with my parents when we’re married since we just got a house, but I did live at home with my parents for a long time after graduating college.  It’s definitely a cultural thing too; with Asians, they live at home forever, until they are married or get a job too far to commute to.  Fiance totally did not understand how I could live at home and was out supporting himself at 18.  But had I not lived at home and saved on rent for nearly a decade, we totally would not have the house that we have now.  Now he sees the light and why it may be worth it to sacrafcie so call freedom and the stigma of ‘living with parents’ for the sake of saving even just a year or two.. and if not to buy a house, to just be able to build that safety net of savings to make sure you’re secure.

Post # 19
12261 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Definitely!  Especially in Mass where real estate prices are insane!   I don’t know how any average person could save up anything to buy here while paying rent (which is also insanely high).  I’m so glad to see that there are actually a fair amount of people here who are ok with it and have parents who support it also.  It makes complete sense to me, but Fiance (who is white) said that its really rare that a white person would give up their independance and live at home.  I gotta go tell him hes wrong!  Laughing

Post # 21
2023 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I think it’s really silly how most people in this thread are from MA. The house and rent prices here are SO ridiculous, of course we’re living at home!!

@NJForever: Exactly. I do think it has a lot to do with your relationship with your parents. We’re like best friends so it’s not stressful or anything to live with them. We also have separate floors, so that helps too.

View original reply
@Future Couture: Believe me, it hasn’t been easy! Back and forth every day for four years, we’ve never felt settled. We’ve never had a “home”. We alternate who goes where each day. Even when we get to each other’s houses after a long day at work, one of us can never reallyl feel relaxed because they know they have a long drive home afterwards. We take one day off a week where we don’t see each other, but it’s not like that makes a dent in gas costs or mileage on our cars! It’s just so much added unnecessary stress. Thank goodness Fiance will be moving in sometime in April!

Post # 22
765 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

Fiance and I lived with my parents when we were dating. We’d still be living there if he hadn’t gotten transferred, but it was really nice because we were able to save a ton of money and we’ve been able to help my parents pay for the wedding. We weren’t engaged at the time because Fiance didn’t think it was right for us to be engaged and still live with my parents (although I would have loved it), so I think it’s wonderful that you guys are able to.

Post # 23
3683 posts
Sugar bee

hehe of course we’re living at home. MA is sooo expensive. A two bedroom rental would run us at least 1300 a month. 

We are currently living with my mom and we hate it. LOL if it was tolerable we’d consider staying to save up money too.

Post # 24
4590 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

We lived with my Father-In-Law for 4 years before our wedding, and for 6 months afterwards, until we found the house we are in now.  If its right for you, and you are comfortable there, then by all means, keep doing it! We had something like our own apartment upstairs, minus a kitchen, and it worked for us

Post # 26
2023 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@SoontobeMrsA: On a side note, I’m so confused with your new avatar!! I saw that you commented on this thread and was scrolling everywhere through it and I’m like noooope, no she didn’t!

Post # 27
3683 posts
Sugar bee

@MrsMaine: I’m slightly embarrassed to admit I did the same thing. It’s supposed to be a pink carousel.

Post # 28
56 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@pinkshoes: FH and I are white, too! So that’s 4 white people you can tell him about 🙂

Post # 29
2546 posts
Sugar bee

Another MA person here 🙂

We lived with my family for about 6 weeks in between when our lease ended, and when we closed on our house. They didn’t charge us rent and told us to save the money for house things. Looking back, we saved THOUSANDS in just those 6 weeks. Our monthly rent which we had been paying for years is the same as our mortgage payment. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about it, but over the last 4-5 years we have paid over $60,000 in rent. We sometimes wish we had moved in with family for a longer period of time.

Post # 30
3441 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

We lived with my parents during our engagement to save money to buy a house. We closed on our new house 3 months before our wedding. It was such a great opportunity to be able to save and put away money so we could purchase our first home. Just please ensure that you take dull advantage of it and save, save, save. I have friends who live downstairs from their parents and instead of saving for a house they are spending every dime and living it up. Her parents are getting fed up so they could be out on their own without any money.

Post # 31
2126 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

I can’t believe y’alls real estate prices. I’m paying 460/month for a 2br/1.5bath apartment and that with the pet fee.

The topic ‘Living w/ parents after wedding & I’m Okay with it. Anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors