(Closed) Living w/ parents after wedding & I’m Okay with it. Anyone else?

posted 9 years ago in Family
Post # 62
10285 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

@pinkshoes: We didn’t have to live with my FIL’s, we chose to. We moved out of our first apartment and didn’t have the next one lined up so we moved into their house for a few months (we could have easily found a month to month somewhere if we really wanted to but it seemed like a lot of work for a couple months). We had to rely on them because we were living under their roof, just like everyone else who is choosing to continue to live with their parents.

I guess people just have different priorities. I personally could not feel like an independent adult if I still lived with my parents but it’s great that others can.  

To those who are choosing to remain living with their parents after marriage, I wish you luck. I’ve never known anyone who has done it (other than for cultural reasons) but hopefully it all works out for you. =)

Post # 64
2819 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

I’d be okay with it — ish. But my parents would NOT. Full stop.

Post # 66
511 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Wow, I am so glad i found this thread! Right now my fiance and I live together in an apartment but after the wedding we will be moving home to SoCal and his mother offered us the entire upstairs because they mostly live down stairs and their other son is still away at college.

At first I was like no way even though I love my in-laws dearly and so do my parents… but after discussing it with my man and seeing our finances, we decided 6 months should allow us enough time to build a solid downpayment on a condo that we can flip and rent out in a few years.

I should add that i’m a business owner and a lot of my earning go right back into my business and rent so to be able to save a few grand a month would be tramendous.

I’m so glad there are other brides that feel it’s a smart thing to do as well. <3

Post # 68
130 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@Future Couture: My mom wants us to stay forever too! She talks about how we could add onto the house so when we have kids… and that’s when I block her out! haha. but really, she’s a preschool teacher for fun and all she talks about is when am I going to have kids and she’ll quite her preschool job and be the nanny so I can keep working (I LOVE my job and know that I will be right back to it when I can). I always tell her to pump the brakes and let me get through the wedding first! LOL 🙂

Post # 69
535 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

My Fiance and I are stilling living at home as we plan our wedding.  We are in the process of purchasing a home.  My Fiance moved home after college and was able to save a lot.  His savings is what we are using for a downpayment on a house.  I, on the other hand, lived at home and foolishly spent my money so I didn’t have anything saved when Fiance and I met.  My finances are very different now.

If Fiance and I don’t have house before July, we are going to get an apartment.  We will not be thrilled about paying rent but living at his house is not an option (space is tight) and living with my parents would be easier but it wouldn’t be ideal.  We wouldn’t be able to invite people over, wouldn’t get the kitchen to ourselves, etc.

As for paying rent in Mass, it totally sucks.  In order to get a deal, you need to know the landlord or something. 

Post # 72
535 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

@Future Couture: Thanks, I hope we find a house soon.  My Fiance is HUGE on saving money and he has never had to look for an apartment before.  He will be in for a huge shock. 

My parents own a multi-family home so I know what rent is going for nowadays.  He on the other hand has no clue. 

Post # 73
172 posts
Blushing bee

I currently live in my parent’s detached garage. Above the garage, is a apartment with a bedroom, bathroom, lil kitchen area and a full bath. I just graduated college 3 months ago and I am currently on the hunt for a teaching job (interview on monday!) I am getting married this November and my fiancee plans on moving in with me then (he lives with his parents now too) I would like to buy a condo or a small house within 6 months after the wedding so hopefully it will only be a short time we still live “at home” but I have my own entrance and everything so basically we will live on our own. I pay a small “rent” fee every month to live up there and it covers everything. My parents just ask that when my fiancee moves in, we start to pay for the electric bill for the garage which is like $150 a month. I’ll take it! We are both 23 and just starting out in our jobs and I really don’t want to rent just until we can save for a house.

Post # 75
130 posts
Blushing bee

@cs71904: We are date twins!! And almost situation twins! lol. My FH and I live with my parents and we both have very good jobs and will be saving almost 100% of what we are making. We are hoping to be out of my parents’ house by summer 2012, so it will be a little over a year that we would have lived there. We might pay a small “fee” also, but it would be about the same as yours, and compared to rent prices in South FL, I’ll take it! I’m 21 and FH is 22, we are just starting our jobs too after college and don’t really have the foundation we need yet, financially, so this is the best situation we could possibly be in. We will take over the “guest wing” of my parents house which has a bedroom, bathroom, sitting area, and living room with TV and pool table (sweet!). We have to share the kitchen with my parents but that’s not a huge deal, and we have our own entrance/exit through the bedroom. Good luck with the interview!

Post # 76
2373 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

We lived with my family for 1.5 years after getting married. My husband was supposed to leave for OCS after the wedding and my dad didn’t want us living in Detroit. His date kept getting pushed back so we were stuck. We’re living on our own now and I have to say it’s MUCH nicer, but I do miss having everyone around all the time.

The topic ‘Living w/ parents after wedding & I’m Okay with it. Anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors