(Closed) Long Beach week long parking safety? & traffic recommendations?

posted 9 years ago in Los Angeles
Post # 3
2249 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2018

Hey I got married in oregon and went on a cruise from long beach- one month ago! We flew and i mentioned in a post there are super cheap last minute flights from eugene on allegiant air. we stayed in Hotel Maya, which is within walking distance to the carnival port. It was the best part of the trip! The front desk people rocked and the hotel was so pretty. it was also cheaper through their website than hotels.com or something. we didn’t have to park since we flew but hotel maya had parking for $15 per day and they had a security guard out there so it might be something to look into!

Post # 5
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

The area you’d park your car isn’t a bad area and I doubt anything would happen to it.  I’m sure they have security any way.  As for traffic…just depends on what time you get down here, you didn’t say where your hotel was.  Bad traffic times for the 405 South Long Beach Area…3-6pm…but if you’re coming through LA area it’s always crappy…just depends on what route you’re taking at what time. 

Post # 6
555 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

yeah where’s you’re hotel because we might be able to give you some help on staying away from the 405!

Post # 7
750 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Definitely, traffic through LA will be a bigger deal than traffic in Long Beach. You’ll probably take the 405 down to Long Beach from the 5-405 split and that portion of the 405 can be a parking lot just about any time of day. Give yourself at least an hour more than you anticipate it taking.

Your car will probably be fine in Long Beach. I’m sure their garages are monitored.

Post # 9
750 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Seriously, Sundays aren’t necessarily better. Sorry, but that’s how LA is.

Post # 11
1068 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I’ve gone on a cruise for Long Beach. There’s a parking lot there ($15 sounds about right). It is gated, and you do have to pay on your way out. We were a bit freaked out to leave our cars, but it was fine. Even though the parking was steep, we felt safer to know that anyone who could steal the car would need to get through the gates. It is a really remote area (it’s just the harbor with ships. not like businesses or house), so it’s okay.

Post # 12
555 posts
Busy bee

Hey I just noticed you’re not taking the 405, you might actually be ok. The 405 is pretty much always a nightmare. The 5 well it’s a crap shoot too but it’s better for sure especially on a weekend. I can honestly say it’s kind of 50/50 so there’s at least a glimmer of hope and if you do get there early the Queen Mary is there so you can walk around and look at that. I love walking around that area it’s nice and relaxing.

If you have a phone with internet access or can call someone with internet access I recommend sigalert.com it’s great to check traffic. When you hit the Grapevine I’d check sigalert then again in the Burbank area (there’s an In-N-Out right off the Buena Vista exit if you’re heart desires) if it looks free and clear you should be all right unless you hit an accident that wasn’t there before or maybe even give it another check once you leave LA.

You can also use sigalert randomly on Sundays coming up to your big day to check your commute to gauge what it might be. Have fun!

Post # 14
555 posts
Busy bee

@serabell believe me living here it’s a lifesaver and growing up here I’ve watched how bad the traffic is and how it just gets worse and worse and worse. It’s amazing, I work 16 miles from where I live and it takes me anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 15 depending on traffic. I mean seriously people, don’t get me started on how badly LA needs MORE subway options, even with the fact that we have earthquakes!!

The topic ‘Long Beach week long parking safety? & traffic recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors