(Closed) looking for a protein shake containing 500 calories per cup..

posted 6 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
5921 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I make a good one with oatmeal, a banana, frozen fruit and greek yogurt.  Calorie count is about 400-450, but you can add higher cal greek yogurt to boost it up if you want.  It’s really good! Let me know if you want the recipe!

Post # 5
441 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I just joined a shake program called body by vi, iv been on it for a few weeks and I love it. I drink a shake for breakfast and lunch, and eat a normal supper. I add coca and peanut buter and it tastes like a chocolate bar, so it really helps with cravings. I am not sure how many calories it has in it (for some reason I am thinking it has 90, but im not positive).

Post # 6
78 posts
Worker bee

Curious – why so high the calories? women are supposed to be eating around 1200 -1400 calories a day (depending on if you’re trying to lose or maintain), spaced out over 5 meals.  a 500 calorie shake would be almost half your daily calories. 

Post # 7
237 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I’ve been using Shakeology for 3 months.. awesome stuff

Post # 8
2697 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@chicagogirl6:  1200 to 1400  a day? Thats way too little, even for most diets over the long term. Nearly everyone would lose weight on 1400 cals a day. I need a ton more than that to maintain my weight and I’m a small girl.

Post # 9
78 posts
Worker bee

I eat between 1200-1400 a day but most of my foods are nutrient dense and high in protein, and not processed foods, plus i limit my sugar, and dairy intake as well.   it’s healthy eating.

I’ve dropped about 45lbs with the combination of cleaning up my eating and working out 1hr / day 6x a week and 1200-1400 cals a day seems to keep me at a stable weight (140lbs, I’m 5’6).  I have to drop to 1000cals  to lose weight plus working out because i don’t burn as many calories as  I used to before in my workouts.  I’m super heart healthy which sucks because it takes a ton of effort to get my heart rate up.  and not only that, but my body fat is still like 28%-30% 🙁

you’re so lucky you can eat more and maintain!

a typical day (5-6 meals)

1/2 cup oatmeal + turkey sausage

1 piece fruit with nuts

lunch – salad with 4oz of chicken breast, lots of veggies, some croutons, balsamic dressing or a subway sandwich, no cheese, no mayo. or sometimes i do 4oz of another protein (turkey, salmon, chicken) with a side of steamed veggies and 1/3 cup of brown rice for my carb.  I limit my carbs to the day only.

small snack – hummus with veggies

Protein Shake (designer whey) pre-workout

dinner – 4oz chicken breast and side of steamed veggies.

And I am married to a personal trainer who runs women only bootcamps.  If she didnt think I was eating enough, trust me I would hear about it alllllll day because I not only do cardio, I also strength train so eating enough is necessary to be able to workout and function. 

all the women in her bootcamp are on a 1200-1400 cal mealplan. but again, its very clean clean eating and high in protein.  you’d be surprised how many times a day you can eat 4oz of chicken breast, and be stuffed and still be under 1400 calories. 

Post # 10
963 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I do a smoothie with:

1 scoop of whey protein (vanilla)

frozen strawberries

frozen raspberries

small banana (if no banana, add more frozen fruit and a tsp of agave syrup or honey)

greek yogurt (o% plain) (1/2 cup)

pomegranate or orange juice (whatever I have on hand) – about 1/4 cup

spinach (you don’t taste it)

Post # 11
573 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@chicagogirl6: I second all this. I eat a 1200-1400 calorie a day diet pretty strictly and work out for 1 1/2 – 2 hours a day 5 times a week. This is what most fitness experts would say is ideal for my size and job activity level (desk job). I have never heard of it being a great idea to eat a lot more. I eat healthy foods fruits, veggies and lean protein.

Post # 12
78 posts
Worker bee

@newenglandgirl: i have a desk job too and its just so easy to let the weight creep back up if i start eating bad and drinking more than i should (2 drinks a week is what my wife (whose also my bootcamp trainer) allows the girls in her classes).

blah. stupid weight. it sucks that food is so emotional for me. i looooooveeeee bad food.  food is what i look forward to.  we do eat one cheat meal a week, but being a woman, I crave sweets and white carbs all the time and its so hard to be strong!  

i wish i could love turkey breast as much as i love cake hahaha.

Post # 13
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

“Curious – why so high the calories? women are supposed to be eating around 1200 -1400 calories a day “

Different people and activity levels require different amounts of calories.

I’m technically underweight, I have a fast metabolism. I eat about 2000 calories a day on average. I eat 4-5 meals a day, but they are full-sized meals.

When my sister does a lot of fitness training, she has to eat 4000+ calories a day to even try to maintain her weight. Otherwise she’s skin & bones and she even stops menstrating. She’ll do regular meals, plus several high-calorie protein shakes (1000 calorie shakes) several times a day. And she’s a “fitness expert”, she used to be a personal trainer and has multiple fitness certifications.

Post # 14
1562 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@abbyful: “Different people and activity levels require different amounts of calories.”

Absolutely.  You can’t generalize that all women should eat 1200-1400 a day.  1200 is a bare minumum that anyone should eat, so I honestly would never recommend that little calories to anyone.

Post # 15
1562 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@newenglandgirl:  Honestly, I am not going to say what works for you is wrong… but I disagree that “most fitness experts” would say that working out 2 hours a day and only eating 1200 calories is a healthy route. Again, if it works for you, great.

Post # 16
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I make a really good one and I just add a scoop of flavorless protein to it. I use a frozen banana, a scoop (prob. about a 1/2 cup) of plain, no-fat greek yogurt, about a tbsp. of honey, and about a 1/4 cup of almond milk. Sometimes I will substitute the banana for berries.

The topic ‘looking for a protein shake containing 500 calories per cup..’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors