(Closed) Looking to start a Wedding Planning business & looking for advice

posted 10 years ago in Career
Post # 3
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2008

Hi Molly – I am currently looking for a DOC for my wedding in Oct. Let me know if we can work together to build up your business.

deedrit at gmail dot com

Post # 4
47 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2008

I think most people would choose a wedding planner if it was in their budget.  I guess there are some people that want to do everything themselves and are afraid to give up control.    Is there a website where I can view your wedding?    Sounds amazing, and I’d love to see it.

Post # 5
293 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

Whether it is budgetary or "not wanting to give up control" as one reader put it, I think there is a niche for a wedding day director–Someone who would take over the calls and be the point of contact for the 2 weeks leading up to the wedding and also coordinate all that has been planned the day of the wedding.  NO BRIDE can really do this herself!  Someone did advertise for this, unfortunately my 2 calls were not returned!  Good Luck!

Post # 6
2373 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

I’m using a day of coordinator who will essentially manage my wait staff for my at home wedding.  She wanted to really deal with my vendors and set up… but I don’t need her for that.  I’m glad she is flexible, though.

If I could find someone in the banquet service industry to manage, I would use that person instead.  My planner is very nice, but I’m not sure if she can manage a waitstaff.  Personally, I didn’t feel I needed much help planning my wedding.  My fiance’s aunt works in the event planning field and she has connections for vendors (rental, linen, caterers, etc..) if I did not have her- I would probably need a planner to suggest vendors.  

For four hours of coordinating I’m paying 250- she gave me a deal.  I would have been willing to pay much more, though.

Goodluck. 

Post # 7
170 posts
Blushing bee

To answer your questions:

– Are you using a wedding planner? No. We interviewed a few for full planning and DOC and decided against it. Like you I am in a job that requires a lot of coordination and planning so I am not worried about vendor selection and timelines.  I do it on a much bigger scale at my job. Really all I wanted was someone to make sure the DIY projects that we worked on get set up the way I want them. However the catering manager assured me that she would do it following my instructions/pictures and added an extra waitperson to take care of it.

But to be honest with a couple of them I really disliked the attitude of "I am a professional and I know better than you" and how they referred to the weddings as "my" weddings. Erm what about the people who got married?

– Would you be using one if it weren’t cost prohibitive?
As I said above cost wasn’t really the problem, althought they were probably charging more than I was willing to pay for the limited tasks I wanted completed.

– What rates feel reasonable to you? $75/hr to be honest and I know that industry standard is higher or A LOT higher than that depending on geography.

Post # 8
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

We’re not using a wedding planner, and personally, I don’t see a need for one. I enjoy doing all the planning, vendor searches, etc., myself. However, I do recognize that on the day of the wedding, I can’t be the one hanging paper lanterns from the ceiling. Our caterer said her staff would be happy to do any decorating that takes place on the tables (linens, centerpieces, table setup, etc) and whatever else we need help with. I’m probably going to hire a friend of a friend to act as DOC to make sure all the DIY gets set up to my liking, but other than that, I personally don’t need any other planning help.

I didn’t even look at wedding planners, partly because I figured I could do it myself, but partly because I knew they were expensive. If it weren’t cost prohibitive, maybe I would have looked into it a little more and delegated, but maybe not.

For the friend of a friend I’m hiring to be DOC, I’m planning to pay her $100-200 for overseeing setup on the morning of, and hanging around in the background through the ceremony/reception, although I don’t know if I really need her there for that. We’ll see. She offered to do it purely as a favor, but I can’t allow that, so I’m going to pay her in the form of a nice gift.

Post # 9
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

Neither my sister or I used a wedding planner, but my best friend did.  She just loved hers – but her reason for having a planner in the first place is a little nonstandard – she is a VP-level executive at a pretty large company, and not only just didn’t have time to deal with the details, she really didn’t care.  She just wanted a nice party – but as far as kind of flowers, colors, favors…  she just didn’t care.  I don’t think you’re going to find very many brides like that on this site – by definition, they are here because they want to spend at least a little time obsessing over hand-tied bouquets and the details of bustling.

I actually would have been willing to pay someone to do a few things for me.  It would have been really nice to have someone to do a lot of the research, so that I could just pick what I wanted.  It also would have been nice to have someone to coordinate things not only on the day of the wedding, but in the week before.  My girlfriends and family did a great job, but I think there would have been a lot less stress (for me, possibly for them as well) if we had some professional help.

However, I also am a little turned off by some of the attitudes I’ve heard about from wedding planners and coordinators.  All of my vendors were fantastic about executing my vision of things – and providing their expertise without ever making it seem like I possibly didn’t know best what I wanted.  I think that most modern brides are pretty capable women – we run projects, manage staff, and are responsible for million dollar budget items in our daily jobs – so we really don’t need someone to treat us as if we are somehow deficient just because we don’t plan parties for 200 people every month.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.  It was a lot of fun planning a wedding – the idea of getting to do it every day is pretty tempting, although my experience is that doing almost anything as a job isn’t quite as much fun as doing it purely for the enjoyment of the thing.  I hope you have wonderful clients, and make them very happy!

Post # 10
133 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2008

From what I have read wedding planner usually charge a certain percentage of the total cost. I had a DOC and she gave me a great deal since she just started out and had done only a few weddings. She was great and she asked for 400. We tipped her an additional 200.

Post # 11
2324 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

I am planning on using a DOC i think, just because I don’t want to have to deal with the little details that I know that I want to be there. We’re renewing our vows, so we aren’t having a huge party, but there are lots of little details involved. We also have a four year old, my mom has MS and I don’t want any of my friends and family (beside my best friend who is officiating) to have to work during that weekend to deal with people. We’re already cooking the morning after brunch, so that’s enough. I just have to find one on the gulf coast of Florida. Anybody know any?

Post # 12
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I hired a full wedding planner and it has been amazing so far (my wedding is next May).  I hired her when I was living out of state, so she did vendor research for me, fine-tuned my budget, and gave me a realistic idea of how much I should expect to pay for things.  I also knew that I would be very busy in the year leading up to my wedding, so she has been great as far as getting info from vendors for me, setting up meetings with vendors, etc.  I am still relatively early in the planning process, but so far she has been a great asset.  Also, she charged a flat fee rather than a percentage of my total wedding budget.

The topic ‘Looking to start a Wedding Planning business & looking for advice’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors