Post # 1
We found out yesterday via email that our venue has another event (not a wedding, a yearly exhibition) that coincides with and precludes our wedding — they double-booked us. We already had a signed contract on-file with them, but were actually trying to get a hold of them the last few weeks to make our deposit payement, so they didn’t have any of our money yet (so I think the contract technically wasn’t “active,” according to the contract wording).
Though initially fairly upset, the date is just over a year away (literally 1 year and 2 weeks), but we had had the date picked out for the last 4 months. I started asking what other dates would work — we had to jump through hoops to get a Sunday daytime wedding approved (they are normally open to the public at that time), but had been assured it was fine, and that our date was reserved. This time around, the venue representative was very unwilling to help us find Sundays around our original date, since they’re “difficult” to schedule (I understand, but they also just BUMPED MY WEDDING, and we had already supposedly locked down a Sunday daytime reservation).
We called in today, talked to a THIRD person, who basically said Sunday daytime weddings were a no-go, but she’d “see what she could do.” We’re not holding our breath on her getting back to us anytime soon.
The venue is absolutely lovely, gorgeous enough that I might be willing to give up hope of my Sunday brunch wedding and deal with the (admittedly minor) religious difficulties of Saturday evening Jewish weddings (I’m not a fan of first look pics and don’t want all-night time pics if I can help it, which is what will happen with a post-sundown ceremony start time, and I also don’t want to shell out extra cash for fancy lighting just so my guests can see each other). I already have a dress that matches the venue and can imagine the entire wedding there.
SO HERE’S WHERE I NEED ADIVCE: Having gone through this drama with the venue, FH and I are not sure we’ll be able to trust the venue again to not bump us or royally mess it up some other way. Every person who works there tells us something different. BUT, the venue is gorgeous and I can see my wedding there. The idea of starting over our venue search basically from scratch is down-right depressing. If I want to stay at this venue, I not only need to book another day, but probably give up my whole wedding concept as I’ve been envisioning it. What do you guys think is the best course of action?
Post # 2
If they really won’t let you take another Sunday and your whole vision has to change anyways, I say just go for a new venue.
Even if they would allow a Sunday I would be wary- double booking happens, but the entire situation is just unprofessional. You were calling for weeks to pay them? Normally businesses are all about getting paid as soon as possible.
Post # 3
With all the loops they’ve been making you guys go through, I would be very wary on trying to even book with them. The fact that they can’t guarantee you a Sunday date, I wouldn’t even bother with them. I personally would say forget them and start searching elsewhere.
Post # 4
- Wedding: April 2017 - City, State
I’d pick another venue just because they are being unhelpful with trying to reschedule the wedding when they were the ones who screwed up in the first place. I wouldn’t trust them not to mess up other aspects of the wedding.
Post # 5
Do you have anything else booked? Photographer etc? Changing date night mean losing them too.
I’d be really, really reluctant to keep using them after such a massive mistake. The fact they are now making life difficult rather than bending over backwards to rectify it would also push me away. But I’m in an area with a lot of beautiful options, I know I could get a replacement without too much fuss. If your whole day is changing, I’d more than likely move to another venue – asap, to try and preserve the date.
Post # 6
They BUMPED your wedding and you still trust them? Honestly I’d find a new venue ASAP. They seem to be lacking some serious communication between the people who work there and that translates to a lot more hiccups. Since you’ve been told different things by multiple people and it sounds like you’re almost begging them to have your wedding I’d say thanks but no thanks.
Post # 7
They screwed up and seem unwillingly to help you set a new date. They should be trying to do what they can to accomodate you. I say start your search again. It may be for the best. Who knows what else might come up with this venue if you stick with them.
Post # 8
Thanks guys. The advice sounds pretty unanimous, and probably what FH and I are leaning towards at this point. We’re trying to have our cake and eat it too with a lower budget wedding around DC, and finding venues in our price point has been a nightmare. But fortuantely I still have my research and a few leads from our last venue go-around to follow up on.
I had started to get quotes from caterers, but fortunately the only people who are affected by this date change our our Rabbi (who can switch to another date), and my grandmother, who has been cross-stitching us a beautiful something-or-other that we’re going to display at the wedding. So she’s going to have to pick out the date she’s already done. But, we’re not going to lose out financially, so that is a huge blessing.
Just keep your fingers crossed for me that I won’t have to buy a different wedding dress (speaking of blown budgets…)!