(Closed) Love & Respect

posted 7 years ago in Christian
Post # 3
545 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

@freckles4819: Fiance and I have done parts from the Love Dare. It’s really excellent. Also Things I wish I’d Known Before We got Married by Gary Chapman is a good book.

Post # 4
4336 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I really loved Sacred Marriage. The subtitle says it all– What if God designed marriage to make us holy more than happy?

I read it a few years ago on my own, and I should probably read it again with Fiance this time!

Post # 5
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

@joy2011 I LOVE it! I soooo want to read that now! What an awesome awesome and right perspective. I loved how our Pastors wife said it once… “Don’t just marry someone b/c you can’t see your life without them.. marry them b/c you know that you they need you to accomplish what God has for them” I know the my Darling Husband helps grow my spirit and maturity daily! so awesome!

Post # 7
54 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Great book! My Fiance and I read it together, it will definaly be somthing that we read again in a few months. (once we are married)

Post # 8
4415 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

I’m reading it right now!  I bought it two weeks ago when Darling Husband and I had our first fight ever in our two years together, and I am amazed at the insight I’m getting from it. 

Post # 9
2891 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Our adult Sunday School class is doing love and respect and I can’t wait! I have also really enjoyed The five love languages and the five langauges of apology. The latter is great info for those really big fights 🙂

Post # 10
3601 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

Great suggestions! I love Sheet Music (biblical take on intimacy). I also am a fan of the Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work (secular, but relevant).

Post # 11
Hostess
16215 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Ooh ladies you’re giving me awesome reading suggestions!

Post # 12
305 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

L & R changed my relationship 🙂 It truly is life altering…

Post # 13
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I read love and respect, it simply was amazing! After your done reading it, the most important part is to make sure you remember what you read! My FH and I didn’t have any arguments for months, but when we did, it was short and sovled quickly.

Post # 14
724 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Haven’t read that one – thanks for the suggestion. We’ve read Sacred Marriage, which is really good. And we’re reading a few for our pre-marital counseling. The first one was by John Piper and I did not like it, so I can’t even recommend that.

Post # 15
222 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Our Sunday School class watched the Love & Respect DVD series, but I haven’t read the book. Fiance and I watched the whole series before we were even engaged and it was really good for our communication. I would also recommend “When Sinners Say I Do” by Dave Harvey to read together.

Two books that I think are life changing are “The Excellant Wife” by Martha Peace and “The Exemplary Husband” by Stuart Scott. I gave Fiance the husband book quite a while ago and it took him a long time to actually crack open the book (I felt a little guilty giving it to him after the “marriage book vs weight loss book” idea mentioned in Love & Respect). BUT… when Fiance started reading “The Exemplary Husband” it was as if he was a completely different person. Just the first chapter made such an impact on his life. All of a sudden, he realized some of his faults and he instantly sought to correct them and to seek forgiveness for ways that he had wronged  people years ago. It was amazing. I thank God everyday for how he is working in his life.

I can honestly say the same thing about The Excellant Wife. The first chapter is so encouraging and really teaches you what a woman of integrity looks like.

Post # 16
5655 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2011

We just started reading “Love for a Lifetime – Building a Marriage That Will Go the Distance” by Dr. James Dobson.

It’s been really great so far and really eye opening to how much Darling Husband and I want not just have a marriage that is in the 5 out of 10 that “makes it” but to be one of the 2 out of the 5 that have an intimate fulfilling marriage.

It’s been really good!

Another great little marriage book that I was given is The Love List. <– really simple but has some GREAT things to remember in staying connected with each other.

What a great thread!!!! I can’t wait to look into some of the other books that have been listed =D

The topic ‘Love & Respect’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors