(Closed) Low-carbing starting 5/23

posted 8 years ago in Fitness
Post # 3
14185 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I do a no white carb diet. But i find that i get very lethargic, crabby, and sluggish if i cut out ALL carbs. I only eat whole grains at breakfast and lunch though, not with dinner. But i just had a coworker lost like, 50 pounds by going no-carb. He eats chicken sausages and stuff everyday for lunch.

Post # 4
5984 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

im carb dieting and it sucks. i went a whoel 4 days “without” carbs and lost 6lbs! that was two weeks ago…i keep going back and forth. 

i am going to get a bowl of cheerios….:) ha!

Post # 5
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I am. I keep a food diary, take vitamin supplements, and I try to hit my recomended amount of carbs. Going completely without carbs is not good according to my dr, who put me on this diet. I’ve lost a huge chunk of weight now. It helps that they have low carb high fiber tortillas and breads that I can have.

Post # 6
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m like Ejs, I cut out white carbs and eat whole grains only (except I treated myself today and had a homemade waffle :p). My body absolutely needs carbs to run so I eat lots of fruits and veggies all day and have oatmeal for breakfast!

Just be careful what you are eating to replace your carbs, sticking to lean meats, low fat dairy, and healthy fats. Just because you are losing weight and look good on the outside it doesn’t mean you are healthy inside. Also, if you plan on exercising at all you will need to put a few carbs in your body 🙂

Post # 9
900 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I’m doing South Beach right now.  My favorite snack is red, yellow, and green peppers with Laughing Cow cheese.  It is honestly delicious!  I like South Beach because it really focuses on lean proteins and healthy fats and makes me go shopping more often so i always have tons of vegetables.

Congrats on losing the weight!  But watch out for high saturated fats…

Sugar Free, Fat Free Jello pudding with a dollop of peanut butter is our dessert specialty, yum!

Post # 10
272 posts
Helper bee

Just remember that the initial weight loss is almost all water, not fat.  But a big initial loss does sound like a very encouraging way to start!

Post # 12
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’m glad that you’re seeing results… may I just advise gently that a “diet” in which you change your style of eating for a period of time; will be effective for that period of time only. If you aren’t making an overall lifestyle change to break bad habits you’ve formed, then any weight you lose as a result of this diet is going to come back.

In my experience, the only way to solidly lose weight and keep it off while remaining healthy is to eat clean, non-processed whole foods. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains. Lean protein with every meal. Small meals.

That means no breakfast, lunch, dinner, but a series of bigger snacks throughout the day. I call it grazing.

Heavy exercise on no carbohydrates is really not good for you… cutting out processed carbs like white bread, crackers, white pasta, white rice, white buns, cakes, cookies, pies; is a great idea. You body doesn’t want those things. But you DO need whole grain bread like Ezekial Bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice, etc. You need whole grains to survive and be healthy.

Post # 13
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2009

i’ve lost 15 lbs. (and gained some serious toneage) this year so far from changing my eating habits (no diets – just focus on LOW carbs, high protein) and working out (hellooo Jillian Michaels)! Having a “diet mentality” doesn’t work for me.. i needed to change my lifestyle! Now, it’s easy to make those healtier choices, but i still enjoy chocolate and fried foods occasionally, just in moderation.

Good luck!!!

Post # 15
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’m afraid your take on carbohydrates is really not accurate. I’m not trying to be argumentative, but you NEED carbohydrates to maintain energy to perform any physical activity, as well as to maintain organ function.

I don’t think I can convince you otherwise, but unfortunately, you are dieting. Unless this is a form of eating you plan on keeping for the long term, this is in fact, a diet…and from the meals you just detailed, I wouldn’t call it an advisable one to keep on for very long.

You’re basically subsisting on processed dairy, fat, and low grade protein. Eating a diet high in fats will in fact make you feel full, that’s one bonus. The downside is that your heart and liver don’t necessarily like it, and without whole grains and fiber to move that fat along your bloodstream….well. It’s just no bueno.

Like I said earlier, cutting processed carbohydrates is a great idea. White anything is just like pouring sugar down your throat. But whole grains are great for you, and honestly a diet high in fiber and whole grains is a diet proven to aid in weight management.

The topic ‘Low-carbing starting 5/23’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors