(Closed) Low-carbing starting 5/23

posted 11 years ago in Fitness
Post # 17
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@Fiya… If she is eating “good” veggies ie, her salad of romaine and spinach she IS getting carbs from those! Could she eat more of them, of course. If she ate more of those she would have a diet that is still has carbs….just not processed ones. It sounds to me as if she is eating a modified version of South Beach and if you have a chance you might want to take a look at it.

Post # 18
761 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I try to eat a low carb diet but more specifically I avoid bread, pasta, oats, proccessed foods and potatoes. I still eat fruit and veggies. I saw on Dr. Oz (I know, I know, I shouldn’t get medical advice from tv)that people should vary the 30-30-40 rule for their body type/ blood test results. I forget the specifics, just remembered that I fall in to the eat less carbs category. It’s helped with the serious bloating I was having and after the inital few days of feeling weak, I felt better than ever! But I fell off the wagon. Just need to get back on!!

Post # 19
1560 posts
Bumble bee

hello!!!! i’ve been a low-carb for lifer for over a year and a half and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!!!

i am on atkins – and in the “maintenance” phase which ALLOWS low-carb breads and high-er carb fruits and whatnot. i LOVE LOVE LOVE the low-carb lifestyle. it’s SO healthy and can i also add it’s AWESOME to eat high-fat!? :p

i know a lot of people will not agree with that – but with all the research I’ve done, fat does  NOT make you fat and yes – even some saturated fat IS good for you. (oh no she didn’t say that did she??!!! lol)

i lost 30 pounds and kept it off and have NEVER felt better! plus all my levels are very healthy! I would suggest – too – looking for the movie “FatHead” it’s awesome and has a LOT of great information! (he has a website too).

and – just so’s everyone knows – “LOW CARB” is not “NO” carb…vegees are a great source of very good for you carbs and anyone who’s been on a true low-carb diet knows vegees are an integral source of food on a low-carb diet. πŸ™‚

hope you (original poster / Pharmy) are doing well!!! PM me if you wanna talk low-carb!! i’ve got some great sites for you for awesome low-carb recipes! πŸ˜€

even how to make your own breads and sweets/baked goods with stuff like almond flour and flax seed! and – yes, EVEN PIZZA! :p

in fact – one “staple” on the weekends for breakfast is pancakes made out of almond flour! 1/2 cup of almond flour has 6 g carbs / 3 g fiber for 3 g net carbs (i count net carbs) and i use sugar free syrup and it is awesome! πŸ™‚

Post # 20
186 posts
Blushing bee

I realize that vegetables do indeed fill a carbohydrate portion. I suppose my viewpoint is not for everyone, and everyone has their own take. Conrgats to those who find low carb/no carb diets beneficial. Really, whatever works for you is great. You know your own body and what it needs.

I’m just saying from a training standpoint; I would never recommend a diet that includes hot dogs and salami to a client. There is not much chance to efficiently train on that kind of subsistence. If endurance and fitness isn’t the goal, then all bets are off I suppose.

Post # 21
1560 posts
Bumble bee

Not to thread-jack, but… 

@fiya – i agree that a diet including (specifically) hot dogs and salami may not be the healthiest – but a LOT of true low-carb dieters know that processed meats are not healthy. I myself try to always search for (again since you specifically mentioned them) hotdogs and luncheon meats that are all natural – no nitrites / no nitrates – same goes for bacon. it’s VERY hard to find – but trader joes is awesome as is whole foods. I’ve actually found some really good hot dogs from TJ’s that are hormone-free nitrate/nitrite free – applegate farms is the brand.

I’m also a HUGE proponent of grass-fed meats. I am absolutely in agreeance of how disgusting and awful commercialized beef is (not to get into that conversation – but it IS awful). In fact, though, a true low-carb diet is not just “eggs, meat and cheese” – but it’s a very whole-foods based diet and I eat TONS of flax seeds, chia seeds, nuts and seeds, berries, and yes eggs, meat and cheese. lol.

In fact – my breakfast this morning consisted of a home made almond-flour/flax-seed blueberry muffin (no sugar, used stevia) with natural peanut butter. But I’m also (again) on maintenance. Most days I do eat eggs and sausage for breakfast.

IF anyone is interested – a great book to check out is “Good Calories, Bad Calories” by Gary Taubes. (i’m still reading it – it’s a hard read but SO worth it!)

also (edited to add) – truth be told (not to start a war) but the body does NOT need whole grains – and most “whole grain products” are processed in one way shape or form. plus a LOT of people are actually grain-intolerant, be it gluten-intolerant or wheat-intolerant.

Post # 22
186 posts
Blushing bee

Honestly, myself included.. unless there’s a dietician amongst us, we probably shouldn’t tout what the body does and doesn’t need.

Just to clarify, when I say whole grain, I mean whole grains, not whole grain products like “whole wheat bread”, which is usually (not always of course) enriched wheat flour, corn syrup and white flour based.

Post # 24
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

congrats on your weight loss!

Just a quick note to watch out for those artificial sweeteners (i.e. Splenda, aspartame, etc.). They really aren’t good for you and tend to make you crave sugar more than if you just allowed a little bit of real sugar in your diet.

Post # 25
1560 posts
Bumble bee

haha – i DO agree with babyboo on that! πŸ˜€ I try to stay as far away from aspartame as possible. splenda i’ll have occasionally – but I use erythritol or stevia.

and YAY for how you feel on low-carb! i absolutely agree. and i LOVE fresh berries (got blueberries and blackberries in my fridge now!)

also – pharmy – there’s an AWESOME low-carb message board (not sure I’m allowed to post it here) that I’ll PM you about – the people there are AWESOME and can give you incredible tips as well as recipes – especially living on a budget!

Post # 26
3979 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

Low-carb diets are good in theory & I will cut my carbs every now and then after being sloppy with my diet for a few weeks. However, most people who do long-term low or no carb diets gain it all back. The second your body goes out of ketosis, anything you eat will turn to fat. Your body is confused & will hold on to anything you put into it to use as a fat supply for the next time you cut calories & carbs!

Your sample diet included a lot of processed foods and cheese. None of those are low in fat or very healthy. If you really want to see changes that will last long-term you need to make a diet overhaul. Lean protein, whole-grains, veggies and fruit! You don’t need to eat breads or pastas to get carbs, you can get it from your veggies and fruit!

I’m not authorized to give nutritional advice, but I have done a LC diet before that was supervised by a doctor. I got my information from him. I lost 70lbs in 4 months (looking back I realize how ridiculously unhealthy that was). My ketone sticks were maroon colored, by the end of the 4 months I was losing a pound a day. I haven’t gained it all back, but the first week off the diet I gained 15. And I didn’t just eat cupcakes, I introduced whole wheat bread & dairy into my diet. For real.

I think its great that you’re trying to get to a healthier weight, but just make sure your efforts aren’t wasted! Make lasting changes to your diet so that you don’t have to “diet” ever again πŸ™‚

The topic ‘Low-carbing starting 5/23’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors