Low morphology – what now?

posted 2 weeks ago in TTC
Post # 2
Member
1467 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

I’m not going to be able to be all that helpful, as we are also in the throes of this, but I’ll share our experience so far in case helpful.

We conceived our LO 2 years ago with relative ease (immediate BFP, MC, 6 months to BFP, healthy pregnancy). For the last ~18 months my husband has been struggling with a serious case of Lyme Disease. After 9 TTC cylces (all of which hit the FW successfully) and no BFP, we met with our RE.

All my tests showed great health and fertlity (slightly low Vit D). DH showed quite low sperm count (19M), 50%+ motility, <1% Morphology. Our RE has indicated that IUI should be successful for us, but has offered IVF if we prefer that route.

I think we’re going to do IUI in Dec (since clinic has holiday closures anyway, IVF wouldn’t start until Jan for us regardless) and if unsuccessful move to IVF. Although we’re still finalizing our decision.

Your DH has stronger SA results then mine, so assuming no issues on your end, I would think IUI is very much on the table! 

Post # 3
Member
3888 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

Low morphology isn’t great, but it’s the “best” sperm problem to have. 

I would make a plan between the two of you, like you will TTC naturally for 6 (?) months and then move forward with IUI.

Ask your doc what testing or anything else you should do. I would recommend a HSG and a saline sonohysterogram, even with having a kid already.  

Post # 4
Member
650 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

Is he taking any supplements and has he done all he can in terms of lifestyle to improve sperm healthy? (No hot tubs, reduce alcohol and caffeine, etc). Since he’s borderline maybe some of these changes could help. Otherwise my understanding is that iUI can be very effective for mild male factor issues. 

For me, the decision to do IUi vs IvF would also depend on how many more children you want, and any insurance coverage. I want 3 more kids and I’m almost 36, so I want to do ivf. However my insurance requires 3 iuis before they will cover ivf, so we started with that. At my clinic, the out of pocket cost of a medicated iui with clomid/ femara is $1000, compared to about 17k for Ivf (including meds but not including “extras” like genetic testing).

Post # 7
Member
1400 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

View original reply
@sarfin914:  hi! My husband also had 2% morphology and I also found that the info out there about how much it mattered was very confusing. Some things said we’d need IVF for sure, and some things said as long as his count was good, we’d be ok. We lucked out and got pregnant on our 6th cycle (with temping and OPKs and BDing every day from O-3 to 0+1.) I’m hoping it won’t take toooo much longer than that for the second kiddo too. Good luck to you and I hope this month is it for you!  

Leave a comment


Find Amazing Vendors