Low progesterone even after 100mg twice a day (orally)

posted 11 months ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
7767 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I would ask about a progesterone suppository as I believe taking it that way is more effective than the oral medication. I was on 200mg through a vaginal suppository that I took once nightly through 12 weeks. Some people are put on 400mg I think too. What does your midwife say about it? 

The fact that your HCG is rising so well is definitely a good sign, but at this point you should have an US to determine the health of the pregnancy rather than relying on bloodwork. Do you have one scheduled yet? My doctor told me that once HCG gets over 10k you should be able to see the embryo and a heartbeat on US. We were able to see the baby and the flicker of a heartbeat at 6w on the dot with my (healthy) pregnancy.

Post # 3
698 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2007 - City, State

jessicaxo11 :  oral progesterone is not the best form so I’m confused as to why she didn’t give you transdermal or suppositories. Not much of it makes it to your blood stream because your liver has to break it down. 

What you can do to help yourself NOW is take vitamin c and b6. These boost your natural progesterone levels. Do some research.I also recommend emerita bioidentical progesterone cream. Many women use it to maintain their pregnancies through week 13 and taper off. I used it for controlling endometriosis symptoms before I overhauled my diet. Bring it up with your midwife asap and advocate for yourself. 

Post # 5
9198 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

i’ve never heard of oral progestone.  i’ve done vaginal suppositories and PIO shots.

Post # 8
7767 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

jessicaxo11 :  Ok I’m glad she has you on vaginal progesterone now and that your US today. You will learn a lot at the US. Crossing my fingers for you! 9 is on the low side, but I read that progesterone ranges from 9-47 in the first few weeks of pregnancy so it’s techically in the normal range. sending you good vibes!

Post # 9
698 posts
Busy bee

jessicaxo11 :  take 1,000 mg of ascorbic acid. Do not stop the cream cold turkey, you must taper.

Post # 12
7767 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

jessicaxo11 :  yesss!! those are good stats. congrats bee! are you feeling better about everything?

Post # 14
698 posts
Busy bee

jessicaxo11 :  what prenatal are you taking?

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors