- 6 years ago
I love lurking on the Weddingbee forums (and have for years)… it’s funny to me, to finally have a reason to post in them!
Anyway & at last: hello! Here I am! I am 27 (post-bacc student/drifter/artist/writer), my SO is 28 (gainfully employed – for privacy reasons I’ll leave it up to your imagination!)… and we are waiting. I love lists, so I will employ one here, to lay out my situation.
1. We’ve been together for ~6 months. HA HA HA. I know you’re all thinking this is crazy already.
2. Since I was ~24 I’ve had an unspoken rule about not wasting time. I’ve dated a lot of guys, and been proposed to twice. But I know what I want/need, so I passed on the duds.
3. I told my SO about my rule (not so unspoken, I guess!?) in our first month of dating. He was surprised. He thought that you had to be with someone for years before you could really know that you wanted to be with them. I said well, that’s up to you.
4. A month or two later, it was really, really obvious to both of us that we were going to be together forever. We talked about all our beliefs and goals, and couldn’t have matched up any more perfectly. He treats me (and the other people in his life) better than I thought was possible. I was raised a Calvinist (xians in the house?) and have always held to the idea of “total depravity”… SO makes me rethink that. Ha ha! All that to say, he eventually told me he was relieved about my rule because he couldn’t imagine waiting too much longer.
5. We started talking about marriage a lot. He talks about it more than I do (reason being, if I talk about it too much the waiting will make me that much crazier – I’d rather wait in silence!!). We talked about a date this summer. I never press him in those sorts of conversations, but it almost seemed like we agreed on it, somewhat firmly (???).
6. He told me this week that he was going to use his winter bonus to buy “something to go in this area” (as he pointed to my ring finger).
7. We’re spending the first week of the new year with my family, which seems like it would be a “good time” (maybe?) to propose, but the thing is… he’s designing my ring himself. And I know he hasn’t comissioned it yet. There’s no way he’ll have it by then.
~ End of list!
So… I think I’m going to have to wait a while longer. January. February. March. And by that point, the summer wedding date begins to look a little impractical. :}
I don’t mind. I feel content NOW, just being with him. It is exciting though. And I am painfully curious to know what HE’S thinking/planning. Aeeee….!!