(Closed) Maggie Sottero Bernadette (Spring 2011)

posted 11 years ago in Dress
Post # 392
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Hi everyone! 

I have spent the past day reading through all the posts on this thread as I have just bought the Bernaddette for my wedding! It was the 3rd dress I tried on and it was my favourite so far..I tried on another few ordinary strapless dresses, a few of which were nice, a few I really liked, so I shortlisted 3 dresses to try on again with a side tiara and veil. It was the Bernaddette that I tried on again first, and I actually got emotional, tears in my eyes and everything! I am not an emotional girl, at all, so it was very unexpected! My mum is the same and even she was crying! I tried on the other two again, both of which were lovely, and looked good on me, but they didn’t give me the same emotional reaction, same for my mother.

The assistant told me that they had just ordered another Bernaddette in, and that they would sell me the sample at a reduced price if I wanted it, as they informed me that it would take 7 months for a new one to come in, and my wedding is beginning of august… it would be cutting it very fine for alterations! The sample size is a uk 12, and fit well over the hips, but loose on top and back, they said they probably would have ordered a 12 for me anyway because of the hips. I told them that I was intending to lose about a stone, and that I had already lost half a stone in the 2 weeks since I got engaged, so I would be more a size 10 by august. They said it wasn’t a problem as I would have to have the seamstress do alterations anyway for the length and top ect, and that it would cost around £150 to do that, so it wouldn’t be a problem. They assured me that they could make the dress fit even if I dropped 2 dress sizes.

I went away very happy and excited! I am slightly nervous now however after reading alot of posts about problems some of you have had with altering it, and boning ect. My first fitting is next month, where they will be taking my measurements for the first time, I will mention the boning issue. It was hard to tell last time as it was loose on top, I am nore pear shape than hour glass, so I hope I won’t have trouble filling it :-/

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself as undoubtedly I will be posting with some questions and concerns soon, and hopefully with some pictures of my fitting!

I have loved seeing everyones pictures on here, and this thread has been a major help already, so glad I found this site!!

Post # 393
10 posts
Newbee

@purple_sofia:  I see you have some of the same worries as me! You look so lovely in your dress ๐Ÿ™‚ It makes me excited to have my first fitting next month!

Post # 394
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I feel like I’m on a MS Bernadette roller coaster today!

Had finally decided to order a replica dress as its too late to order new for my wedding (plus expensive) and the couple of dresses I had found on pre worn websites and in my local second hand wedding shop had fallen through or been sold. I was in the middle of ordering off the replica site when I had tech issues, which meant I couldnt so had to wait for customer services to get back to me. Straight after I got an email from the second hand shop saying they had one coming in straight after christmas in just about my size and in the ivory over gold I want.

Fingers crossed it fits!

I don’t want to leave it too late for getting one replicated if neccessary, but I would prefer to have an original. This had better be it!

Post # 395
137 posts
Blushing bee

@Berniebee:

Best of Luck! I’m sure it will be fine

I’m a UK Bee as well ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 396
10 posts
Newbee

@KateS77:  Oh sounds like you’ve had a bit of luck there!  Where abouts you from? Over the border? Wink

I’m not even sure what colour my dress is, ivory I think, but I didn’t ask! I didn’t think I’d get so obsessed about a dress, but a few days on here and I think I’ve looked at ever picture and video of other brides in the dress! SurprisedHope you’ll post pics when you’ve tried it on! Laughing

Post # 397
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Hi! I am from Russia. I want to share with you pictures from my wedding. I saw on the internet Bernandett. It was love at first sight! Original in Russia is very expensive. I sewed the remake. I was the happiest bride!

Post # 398
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Post # 399
10 posts
Newbee

@RussionBride:  You look lovely! That remake looks so good, I don’t think I could tell the difference! Suited you perfectly ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 400
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2013

I feel armed with information in preparation for fittings after reading this! I bought my Bernadette a couple of weeks ago and never thought that I would be wearing a low-back dress for my wedding. I have a very large bust (36E) and need a lot of scaffolding, so I was thinking of buying something like this:

It’s a backless body from ultimo and they do a DD-G version. It comes with clear straps which wouldn’t show but it’d probably not low enough at the back. Has anyone else experimented with more than just cups? I’d love to try a stick-on bra but have never found one big enough. 

Anyway, here is my Bernadette (with a small lady holding the back of the dress behind me because it was a size 3 sizes too big).

Post # 401
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Hi ladies. Since my last post, I’ve been pondering this problem and might have found a solution for any of you who want a bit more support and control. 

I did an experiment with a basque I already have. It doesn’t have any boning in the back and, if I only fastened the bottom couple of inches at the back and attached clear straps so they came round under the arms at the back and attached to the outside edge of the cups, it held everything in place and had a low back. I would just need to cut it so that it made a V shape at the back. 

I don’t think I’m explaining myself very well so here’s a picture. Imagine you had a basque like this Deep Plunge Low Back Basque in Lace but you only fastened the bottom two inches or so and got a seamstress (or a kind mother with a sewing machine) to cut a line down from the last rib of the boning to the fastened bit. Then stitch it up and voila, you’ll have a properly low-backed basque.

I’m very tempted to buy a normal bridal basque with this mesh-type back and alter it because I’m worried how I’d fasten and unfasten the poppers on a body to go to the loo. Plus, I’d have the option to wear the suspenders.

I hope this helps any of you in a similar predicament.

Post # 402
39 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2013

this is a gorgeous dress..can i ask, is the bottom of it known as trumpet or mermaid? i cannot tell the difference between them and i’m trying to explain it to the shop here in Berlin I want to order it from to try it.

I had no idea undergarments would be so important thank you for the information!!

Post # 403
36 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@Violette_29:  I’ve heard it called both, and I’m not very good at telling the difference between the two. I’m sorry for not being much of a help but I hope someone else will see and help you..

As for the undergarments, I tried on a mermaid/trumpet slip and I was really uncomfortable. It was very poofy, heavy, and hot! I knew that I wouldnt be comfortable with it on all night. My undergarment problem is putting lots of boob padding in the chest area. I’m a very small A and the boobs are HUGE… 

Post # 404
10 posts
Newbee

@fairdos:  Hi! Iwas also wondering what to wear underneath the dress! I did wonder about buying the ultimo low back bodice you mentioned but was worried it wouldn’t be low backed enough? What has everyone else worn? I’m a B cup and will probably need something to help fill the top out! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 405
28 posts
Newbee

@Berniebee:  I am having padded cups sewn into mine. I went for a fitting tonight and tried the cups. It made such a difference! I haven’t got the biggest boobs either. It just gave me a lovely shape without too much cleavage. 

Post # 406
28 posts
Newbee

I went for my first fitting tonight. I was keen to avoid the pointy boob issue so many people have mentioned on this board, but there isn’t any boning in that area of my dress. I mentioned it to the lady in the shop and, apparently, Maggie Sottero asked the stockists whether there was an issue. Given that my dress has no boning, I assume it’s been removed from the design. Yey, Maggie does listen.

Anyway, here is a picture of the dress without alterations. It needs some work in the waist, boob and back areas as it’s slightly too big, but I love it completely. Bernadette rocks!

The topic ‘Maggie Sottero Bernadette (Spring 2011)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors