(Closed) Maggie Sottero Bernadette (Spring 2011)

posted 11 years ago in Dress
Post # 407
39 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@soontobeford:  Thank you anyway for your kind response!i’m very confused about it, think it might get this dress or the chantilly from CP.

Thanks for feedback on the mermaid slip- I really like the way they flare out down the  bottom and read other brides had worn them with this dress. not sure what i’d do guess i must try it on.

If it helps i saw they are sold on Amazon quite cheaply so it might be worth trying to source one there instead of the overpriced bridal shops!

sorrento bride you look absolutely stunning!!!

Post # 408
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@SorrentoWedding:  Thanks, I mentioned padded cups to my seamstress and she said she would do that, so hopefully it will be ok. Not got my fitting till May! 

You look wonderful in yours 🙂

Post # 409
28 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Berniebee:  Thank you! I have my next fitting on 13 February so I’ll let you know what I think about the cups once they’re properly in place.

Post # 410
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@SorrentoWedding:  Dress looks beautiful on you!!!  I just posted last night about my Bernadette mishap. What a nightmare!  At the time I purchased the dress, I was a size 8 or 10 and the seasmtress who worked on the dress did a really awful job! Really bad – after 3 fittings, it wasnt right and on the third she took in the waist so much it would even zip and this was after just being in the dress 2 hours prior so I didnt fluctuate in weight!  Long story short, I CANCELLED the dress at that store (all just happened yesterday) and I was able to order a NEW Bernadette from another store. Should arrive in about a week in a size 6 – so hopefully very minimal alterations to be done. I’m a small 34 B, and the boob area the first time arond was a major problem – but the dress was also 2 sizes too big.

Post # 411
28 posts
Newbee

@purple_sofia:  OMG! What a nightmare. You must be feeling so stressed. Poor you. What an awful experience, but you totally did the right thing cancelling the dress. I don’t think it’s an easy dress to alter. Thank goodness you found another shop that was able to order you another dress. Luckily my dress was pretty close to my size so the alterations were minimal. Please let us know how you get on. X

Post # 412
367 posts
Helper bee

@SorrentoWedding:  Stressed but very calm about it actually – in a very weird way! I’ll keep you guys posted.

Post # 413
367 posts
Helper bee

@SorrentoWedding:  UPDATE!  I had my first fitting with the NEW Bernadette dress today from the new store – and it was GREAT!!!  Dress order was placed on Saturday and dress delivered on Thursday!  The size was pretty much perfect – took in a drop of the lace around the keyhole so it lays flat, hemmed and bustle and thats it!  Everything else was great. I’ll post pics! 

Also – I hink someone else mentioned this, but the new version of the bernadette has NO BONING in the chest area!  Also, just an FYI – this style along with some others offered by Maggie Sottero are a Priority order which means they stock the dress and the store can receive is asap. 

Post # 414
28 posts
Newbee

@purple_sofia:  I am so pleased that you managed to get it all sorted! Not long for you now. I can’t wait to see your pics. Good luck for Saturday!

Post # 415
40 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I just had my first Bernadette fitting this past weekend and want to offer this info if it’s helpful to anyone:

I’m 5’4″ and around 120lb. I’m a street size 4-6 and the size 6 Bernadette proportionally fits me almost perfectly.  As for the length, I was told when buying the dress that it can be bought 3″ shorter or 5″ shorter than the average length. The saleswoman measured me wearing 2 and 3/4″ heels (the exact height heel I plan to wear on my wedding day) and this necessitated ordering the dress 5″ shorter.  As a result of this careful planning and measuring when the dress was being ordered, the dress length is PERFECT and I do not need to have it hemmed.

My dress has the boning in the bust area. And after reading so many complaints about this on weddingbee, I wholly expected to look like Madonna from the Blonde Ambition tour! But the reality is I actually like the way it looks. I have a small bust- 34A- so the boning actually gives me a shape (and anything that contributes to my bust is a plus!). I am having cups sewn in.  There was still a little bit of gaping even with the cups in place, so the sleeves are being pulled tighter in front so there is no more gaping in the bust area.

As far was what to wear under the dress, the seamstress told me less is more. I initially had on a spanx-like short with tummy control, but it showed at the bottom of the keyhole back and it made things hot and uncomfortable. Bernadette is so well lined that in the end I didn’t need it. And I too bought and tried a mermaid slip, but I just didn’t like the shape it gave the dress. It also lifted the dress off the floor, making it too short, and it was also very hot and uncomfortable. So I’ll be nixing the slip too.

I needed a few pin tucks around the keyhole to address some areas that gaped, but this was very minimal. And I wanted a traditional bustle (ie, not a French bustle) because I need to be able to move and jump around on the dance floor without anything dragging. My seamstress is making a 7 point traditional bustle and the way she pinned it during the fitting, the beautiful long train magically disappeared! So I can’t wait to see the end result.

I can’t wait to go to my final fitting 4 wks from now!!! Congrats to all you ladies!

Post # 416
28 posts
Newbee

Here is a pic of me in my bernadette for real. I loved wearing this dress. It was perfect. I am so lucky that I get to wear it again at the end of April. If you’re a bernadette bride, I suggest a clear plaster on your skin at the top of the zip or something over the zip. It rubbed me raw. It was worth it though! 

Post # 417
11 posts
Newbee

I am selling my Bernadette in Australia. Size 2 (US), no alterations, in Ivory over Light Gold.

Anyone interested, please reply to this post.

Post # 418
36 posts
Newbee

@Berniebee:  I am a B cup also, and wore an adhesive silicone bra with mine. I didn’t like the cups sew in once I got them. The dress looke lovely. I purchased the bra off ebay and had no problems at all.

Post # 419
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Hi Ladies,

I’ve been patiently waiting for my dress to arrive in the UK. However, I live in Singapore so I can’t even go and see the sample in a shop. The suspense is killing me.

I knew when I bought my dress that I really wanted to make my own hair comb or band and I’ve been experimenting. The only problem is that I won’t be able to see them next to the dress for a few months, so can you tell me if you think these will go with the dress. The long one next to the tape measure is either going to go on a comb or band for my hair and the smaller circular one is a brooch for a fur jacket I’ll be wearing outdoors.

I also went overboard and made earrings, bracelets and smaller combs for my bridesmaids to continue the bling. (second picture – sorry it’s upside down).

Post # 420
39 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2013

^wow they are beautiful!! well done!!

Have any maggie brides who are a UK size 12 worn this dress? I’m worried it only fits tiny people…

Post # 421
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2013

@Violette_29:  I think it looks great on loads of different sizes. I’ve ordered a UK 18 (photos on page 10) and was a bit concerned that I had only seen pics of it on slim girls. However, if you go on to the maggie sottero site, the real brides’ pics of this dress show that it suits a variety of sizes. It also looks really different on everyone so I say make it your own.

The topic ‘Maggie Sottero Bernadette (Spring 2011)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors