- Miss Sorbet
- 7 years ago
- Wedding: November 1999
These past few weeks have been the most stressful I’ve had since I started planning our wedding. I have pretty much been constantly stressed to tears, and it’s because of money.
We are having a low budget wedding and I have to say that we have done a very good job of staying below budget and spending within our means. I have been very pleased that we haven’t had to go into any form of debt for our wedding (loans, credit cards, or otherwise). About a month ago, the only big item left to pay for was plane tickets for our honeymoon to Europe, and those would cost around $2000-$2200 for 2. We had about that amount in our wedding savings, but were waiting on buying them to see if the price would drop.
Around that time, Future Father-In-Law came to us and said that he wanted to buy our plane tickets as a wedding gift to us. We were pretty much overjoyed, because that gave us an extra 2 grand to work with. Future Father-In-Law knew how much we wanted a videographer (but couldn’t afford one), so he encouraged us to hire one with the extra money we then had, and helped us pick one out. We paid an $800 non-refundable deposit to the videographer (we still owe $900). In hindsight we should not have spent the money before Future Father-In-Law bought the plane tickets, but we seriously had NO reason to believe that he would go back on his offer.
FFIL’s life then changed dramatically. He met a woman online, and within a week (I am NOT even exaggerating that) he moved her and her 21 year old (unemployed) son into his home. 2 weeks ago he told Fiance that he was no longer going to buy our plane tickets. I don’t know what happened, as Future Father-In-Law is a wealthy man…I don’t know if the new Girlfriend told him not to buy them for us…I just don’t know. Now, I understand that it is not his DUTY to buy them…but he encouraged us to SPEND the money we had saved up!
This put us in a major predicament. Our options were a) see if we could get our deposit back from the videographer, b) back out on the videographer and take the $800 loss, c) not go on our honeymoon and lose the $1000 in non-refundable deposits we had already made, or d) magically come up with the money.
Option A was out. We tried, but the videographer would not return the deposit (I knew he wouldn’t). We decided to keep his services (I want a video sooo bad…and it’s 800 DOLLARS that we would lose) so option B was out as well. It makes me sick to think of losing the $1000 that we have put down on the honeymoon, and then not even GET a honeymoon.
Fiance tried to take out a small loan, but was denied for insufficient credit history. I would absolutely be denied as well because I don’t even have a credit card (FI has one that he just pays off every month to build credit). His credit card has crazy high interest so we really didn’t want to put a large amount on it. I just didn’t know what we were going to do.
Today, my uncle called me and said he was in the area and wanted to drop by my house, which was very strange since he lives 4 hours away. To make an already long story short, he gave us our wedding gift early–$1000. He handed me the card as he was walking out the door, and I’m pretty glad I didn’t have to open it in front of him because I was an emotional mess when I opened it. That helps SO much…money is still tight but we were able to finally buy the plane tickets today! I cannot even express how grateful I am.
That is one giant worry off of my shoulders!