- 3 days ago
Wow, its been a minute since I’ve been on here. I basically “deactivated” myself from the bee for personal reasons, and I took the time away to really focus on myself the past year or so… can’t tell you how nice it was honestly. Anyways, not that anyone cares about that but, I came back because I find myself in a predicament given the current climate with COVID-19 and I’d like some third-party insight as to how to handle what I’m dealing with. I will try to be keeping this as vague as possible just to keep some anonymity.
I work in the logistics industry and because of what my company transports we are considered “essential”. My position falls under the umbrella of a marketing position. My employer has been less than concerned about what is going on and honestly, is using the excuse of us being essential as a reason to keep us in the office just to keep productivity up and profits rolling.
The only thing being done is moving desks around and asking us to take extra cleaning/sanitizing measures. In fact, I was at a desk far away from the rest of the office (easily 6ft away from people) and they moved me to be CLOSER to people in an area where people are in an out of a lot. There have been a few emails sent out from the CEO along the lines of “everyone here is essential” and “you should feel fortunate to have a job right now”. We have something going on tomorrow that requires an additional 5 people to be in an out of the general area where my desk is now AND requires them to be in a specific area directly besides my temporary desk. While I’m not in panic mode, this makes me extremely uncomfortable for obvious reasons.
Among some coworkers, we aren’t really pleased with the lack of preventative measures being taken. While we have a lot of important roles here that need to be in the office, many of them could very well be remote jobs and the company can still function fine. For example – my job is NOT an essential job that NEEDS to be in the office every day. I have my own laptop, my own internet at home and 99% of my job is done online. The other 1% of that is just needing my work email remote accessed onto my personal laptop. Two people are being allowed to work from home, but their jobs are more “essential” than some others here and them being in the office IS important.
Conversations about the virus have been open for the most part, but as soon as any real concerns are brought up, the people who brought them up get pulled aside and informed not to talk any more about it to prevent “drama”. A few years ago (I’ve only been here a little over a year), the flu hit the office hard a few years ago, and nothing was done to prevent people from getting sick until it was too late. It is said that the CEO (and HR director) most likely will continue to act as if nothing is happening and it won’t be until someone here gets infected that measures will be taken. Even then, they feel its unlikely any work from home options will be provided because again… we’re an “essential company”. So regardless if Joe in IT tested positive, if you aren’t positive then you still need to come to work… forget if you’ve been exposed.
I could go on, but this is already long. Bees – I am SO frustrated and annoyed and quite frankly, worried! I don’t know what to do. My boss is the director of HR (smallish company) and she is one of the ones downplaying this. I’m worried about presenting my concerns and them being brushed under the rug. My gut is telling me that’s how the conversation will go, that I will get shut down because we are an “essential company” and it doesn’t matter if your job can be done at home. I also don’t obviously want to be like “Hey, my job isn’t essential here” because that sets me up for them realizing “oh she doesn’t need to work here” and to let me go. I feel like I’m in such a tough spot, I do enjoy working here and my job but the way this is being handled is so…naïve and its really starting to make me see my employer in a new light. I truly have a feeling (and this is based off what coworkers have said when they’ve expressed their concerns) that it’s a “too bad, so sad” response.
Anyone have any advice on how to handle this? What I could politely and professionally say to my boss? I really don’t want to get sick and I feel like our company is just blatantly ignoring government regulations of anyone who can work at home be allowed to just for the sake of making money. I feel like if someone gets it here, this could bite them in the ass. My anxiety and stress is at an all time high right now because of this.