(Closed) Making an impossible decision.

posted 4 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
435 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

@ZebraPrintMe:  Oh no! I have no advice for you, but I just wanted to say I am sorry you have to deal with this.


Your bunny is SO cute. I wouldn’t want him to be in pain at all, but it is so hard if they are still full of life… Poor bunny. πŸ™ Hard choices.

ETA…his ears are so tall and cute! πŸ™‚

Post # 4
12248 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I’m so sorry that you’re going through this!

It’s always so sad to have to make such a terrible decision!

Post # 5
874 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. He is adorable… We had several bunnies and I loved them. I’d probably try the surgeries…. Good luck and keep us updated ((Hugs))

Post # 6
7173 posts
Busy Beekeeper

@ZebraPrintMe:  I’m so sorry you are going through this!  I love my fur baby so much and think about having to put her down from time to time (as it’s inevitable), and it’s heartbreaking.  I remember reading something on a pet forum once that when the pet can no longer do the things they love, the kindest thing you could do for them is to let them go.  Not eating and presumably being in pain (not sure what bunny mouth nerve endings are like!)  would be huge factors for me.  Even with the surgery, it doesn’t seem like the bunny’s quality of life would be very high – but, again, I know very little about bunnies!!!  Sending you hugs!!!!  Everyone has told me they knew when it was time to say goodbye (as difficult as it is!).  

Post # 7
1475 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I would probably try the surgeries. If I didn’t, I would always wonder what would’ve/could’ve have happened if we had tried them.

Post # 8
2112 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

I’m so sorry πŸ™ its one of the hardest and worst decisions we have to Make. I don’t think anyone can tell you what the right choice is.ultimately it comes down to what you think is right for your bunny. Do you think he could have a good quality of life if you did the surgury ( i would think he could, as long as he’s otherwise healthy)? Can you afford the surgery? are there other health concerns that make the vet believe he’d only live another year, or just that he’s already 7? If he has other concerns I would definitely consider what is quality of life would be. Ultimately, as others have said, generally owners know when its time to let go, even if they don’t want to. I’ve been in that position as well, and ultimately I knew. 

Post # 9
4561 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I would give Bun the surgery and pray that he is strong and gets through it. At least then you know you have done everything in your power.

Post # 10
492 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

I would try the surgery is he can survive it and hope for the best. Putting him down would be not giving him a chance at all… 


Post # 11
1541 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

@Squirrelz15:  +1

It really depends on his quality of life afterwards. don’t keep him alive to make you happy, it really has to do with him being happy.

I just had to put my kitty down 2 weeks ago, but he had cancer and the day it happened I just knew it was time.

If he’s happy and healthy otherwise, I feel like I would try the surgery

Post # 13
666 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I would go for the surgery. 90% chance of him waking up is worth it, I think. Another year is another year, and he could be one of the ones that goes against the odds. But that’s just me, I’d want to know I’d done everything I could have. I am so sorry that you’re having to make this decision. xx

Post # 14
1680 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@ZebraPrintMe:  i went through a similar situation back in the fall. my 10 year old chocolate lab, who seemed fine, just a little old and slow, started bleeding from the mouth and refused to eat hard food…and then the vet informed us that the had cancer in her jaw bone and there was an open sore in her mouth that was badly decayed/infected. we were given two choices as well – a surgery that would require removing part of her jaw and partially debilitating her, or putting her to sleep. after much contemplation, we decided that it wouldn’t be fair to keep her around if her quality of life wouldn’t be the same…said our goodbyes and spent another 2 weeks feeding her whatever she wanted and loving her.

i miss her so much, but i feel as though it was for the best. she’ll never be forgotten. just love your baby as much as you can and do what you feel is right in your heart.

Post # 15
1915 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Dallas, TX

What a terrible decision to have to make. I’m sorry and wish I had some advice. If you can afford the surgery, I would probably try that. *Hugs*

Post # 16
3553 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

He is adorable. I hope whatever chioce you make it turns out well. My elderly bunny just got over a nasty worm infection this past summer and she’s going strong at almost 7.

The topic ‘Making an impossible decision.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors