Post # 1
we have 5 weeks to go to our wedding and the registry gifts are coming in in huge boxes.
We live in a 1BR, I did not realize how much space this would take up..(especially the packaging) We are thinking of sending the registry gifts to our parents homes, breaking down the boxes there (where there is more space) and taking the gifts home after the wedding. Is anyone else doing this? We don’t know if we can stand living in clutter for another 5 weeks. My only issue is that what if someone asks if we received there gift yet, and that it may be harder to manage if it is not sent to our apt. I know it is proper ettiqette to send a Thank You card once you receive a gift, but Id prefer to send it after the wedding so we can print a photo on the card. Is anyone else waiting to send Thank You cards? Im only sending them to people who are not coming to the wedding but sent a gift or for shower gifts right now.
Also, do you delete your registry items once they are fullfilled? It just bugs me to keep all that stuff on the registry if it doesnt have to be.
Post # 3
I wouldn’t take the items off the registry, becuase they may be purchased for you for wedding gifts. I would send a ty for the shower separately than the wedding. (So you’ll be sending 2).
Post # 4
I’m LOL b/c I’m like you, I always feel the need to clean things up, even small things like a list that has 95% of stuff off of it — I’ll copy the other 5% onto another paper and get rid of the other one. I also hate clutter, it makes me insane. I spent half a day breaking down boxes from shower gifts b/c I couldn’t take it anymore, even after I had neatly piled them up. But yeah, I think you should just leave the fulfilled stuff up on there.
So — you have to send seperate thank yous for shower gits and wedding gifts, so the shower TY’s should go out now.
Wedding TY’s — I know what you are saying… I think if it’s 5 weeks away you can wait.
Post # 5
Don’t delete stuff from your registry; if you end up having to return anything, it is much easier if it is still listed on your registry (at Macys and C&B, you don’t even need a receipt). It also helps give people an idea of what kind of stuff you like, and what things you have already gotten. You will always have some guests (like my mother!) who don’t like to get stuff that is on the registry, so it can be really helpful to have a sort of guideline for them to follow.
Post # 6
@misssweet: Don’t take the items off of the registry. It creates confusion, and if you have to take something back, the store may not have a record of it. I would just keep it on there if I were you.
I know what you mean about clutter. We live in a 1BR apartment as well… and there were gifts and boxes everywhere. I threw away the shipping boxes, and kept the gifts in their store boxes until after the wedding (in case I got two of something and needed to return them). It’s fine not to send thank-you’s until after the wedding. I didn’t choose that route because I wasn’t about to write 150 thank-you notes after my wedding! We got our Macy’s items shipped to his parents house. We went to their house after church every Sunday and brought home the gifts that were mailed that week. Then I would send thank you notes, break down boxes, etc etc. We had an extra coffee table that we stored all of our gifts on/under. It was still “clutter” to me, but at least everything was in one place taking up one wall instead of scatted everywhere (like my husband typically does in the first place… ugh)
I don’t think many people will ask you if you received the gift. Nobody asked me that. Granted, I sent thank you notes within a week or two of receiving the gift. If someone asks you that, just say that your gifts are being sent to his parent’s house because it’s easier to send packages there instead of an apartment (which is very true). You can just tell them that you’ll be going through presents after the wedding because they’re in a safe place right now.