(Closed) March 2014 Babies & Mamas Part 5: Halfway There!

posted 7 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: Was baby the sex you thought he/she was going to be? (wait to vote until you know your baby's sex)

Yes - thought girl, is a girl!

Yes - thought boy, is a boy!

No - thought girl, is a boy!

No - thought boy, is a girl!

Had no feeling either way / Not applicable (team green)

• Post # 152
    1609 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

View original reply
    @jrtink:  I think I would go with a wood tone just to be safe.  I agree with 
    View original reply
    @red_rose that white may seem dated in a couple of years.   

Post # 153
    77 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
    @red_rose:  
    View original reply
    @onyx81:  I was kinda thinking the same thing too.  I am leaning towards a lighter, more natural wood but it seem slike most choices are either dark (cherry, espresso) or white. 

Another thing I have been beginning to think about is bedding sets for the crib.  I can’t remember if we were talking about this on this board or if I read it on another birth month’s board.  I orginally registered for a full crib set, but I just deleted it.  I think it might be a waste of money.  After reading up so much on SIDS, I now realize I will not be using the bumpers, the comfortor or the pillows in the crib, so what’s left?  Why have someone spending $70+ on something I’m not going to using most of what’s in it?  What is everyone else planning on doing for crib bedding?  Am I over-thinking this? 

Post # 154
    1609 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @jrtink:  I think I am just getting crib sheets.  I thought about adding a crib skirt, but I don’t think I want to spend the money on that either.

Post # 155
    120 posts
    Blushing bee

View original reply
    @jrtink:  I debated on the white vs. wood-toned crib too.  I have a friend that’s due next month and she spent over $1k on her nursery furniture in a dark espresso finish for her son.  It is gorgeous, but I just cannot justify the cost.  What I finally decided is that if we can get three years out of the convertible crib, then I will be happy.  At that point, most kids are wanting a “princess”, “car”, “castle” bed anyways.  I truly don’t see our l.o. using the crib all the way up to the full size headboard stage.  Since we paid just over $200, I’m ok with that.

Also, all we are getting in the way of bedding is fitted crib sheets, a few quilts for later on and I’m making the crib skirt.  No bumpers, pillows, etc. 

Post # 156
    310 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

Well ladies.  I had my first ultrasound yesterday.  To our complete shock, DH and I will be blessed with two little bundles of joy!!  Still wrapping my head around the whole thing.  Definitely came to work this morning with my shirt on inside out.  Lol.  I have a Dr. appointment tomorrow and hopefully she will have our ultrasound results and can tell us they are healthy and if they are fraternal or identical.  Ultrasound techs here won’t give you any information like that.  We did see both and they both have all limbs and 2 beating hearts and the spines looked good to me!  Sex is still going to stay a surprise I think!

Post # 157
    656 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @jrtink:  I hear you on the bedding set, it’s crazy that most of that stuff in the sets isn’t even allowed/recommended anymore! As
    View original reply
    @onyx81:  said I’m just going with crib sheets and I really like a crib skirt from PBK so I’ll probably just go with that. (Oh and the matching valance and mobile I’m such a sucker!) I am going with white wood, but we aren’t investing too much in nursery furniture since we know that we will just transition LO straight to a regular bed as soon as she’s ready. Both of us did that growing up and it was fine.

Ladies, some days I think I should ban myself from reading the bee too much. I just saw a post on the boards about someone’s sister who just lost a baby at 5 months. I feel like this is the 3rd story I’ve read this week about something like this and it just hits so close to home, and makes me so anxious

Post # 158
    656 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @MrsAMac:  OMG CONGRATS!!!!

Post # 160
    1153 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
    @jrtink:  I had in my mind before we found out what we were having that my nursery would be gray with white furniture whether or not we had a boy or girl. But then DH & I went and looked at cribs & he told me that “white cribs are feminine and dark cribs are more boy” – I’d never seen it that way and thought baby would be fine in white boy or girl… but since he had an opinion on it (which he doesn’t have many) then we’d get a dark colored crib if baby was a boy. Anywho, I was a nanny for 4 families a few years back so i’m thinking about the crib colors that all of the babies slept in & all of them were in wood colored cribs (natural, cherry or espresso) – one of those babies was a team green baby so I’m sure that “gender neutral” crib color was a factor in their purchase. Other families are onto baby 2 now with their dark colored crib and so some of them have had both their boy & girl sleep in the same crib. The dark color seems to work both ways for the babes. My niece is 5 and had a cherry wood crib/dresser that’s now grown into her full size bed & its perfect for her. 

View original reply
    @red_rose:  I’m really hoping that the white furniture isn’t too trendy since i just ordered all of mine Saturday 🙂 DH’s bedroom at his parents house has white built in furniture (desk, night stands etc) and to me it still looks modern/timeless (the house his parents live in was built in 1999) – i guess only time will tell =)

View original reply
    @sprusa6:  I’m only getting crib sheets and a bedskirt. I know I wouldn’t use a bumper or the rest of the stuff so I’d rather just have a fun variety of sheets to put on the bed and 1 neutral bedskirt that matches everything.  

View original reply
    @MrsAMac:  HUGE congrats to you times 2!!!

View original reply
    @sprusa6:  Beautiful furniture!!! 

View original reply
    @hoogirl05:  The late loss stories freak me out! I know quite a few people in real life with late losses and the stories are never easy to hear. I try really hard to skip over the posts that I know will be about a late loss but sometimes they are hard to avoid. 

Post # 161
    310 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    @hoogirl05:  
    View original reply
    @ThePrincessBride10612:  Thanks so much!

View original reply
    @bananasareyellow:  I know!! In Canada we have our 1st ultrasound at 20 weeks and my uterus has been apparently measuring normal size although I have growth exponentially in the last week.  When my Dr listened to the heartbeat at 12 and 16 weeks they must have been beating in unison or one covering up the other.  I was in complete shock finding out.  My reaction to the ultrasound tech was “shut the F**k up!.”

Post # 162
    11736 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

View original reply
    @jrtink:  For bedding, we’re going with a set that includes crib sheet, skirt and comforter.  Bumpers are banned in Maryland and our crib doesn’t really work with one anyways.  I’m not even sure the skirt will look right, so if not I’ll turn it into a valence or something.  I figure we can use the comforter for tummy time or whatever.  

View original reply
    @MrsAMac:  Holy Moly, Congrats!!!!!!  How shocking but an amazing blessing!

View original reply
    @hoogirl05:  I hear you on the sad stories.  There have been a lot on the March 2014 birth board on babycenter. 🙁  

Post # 163
    1138 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @MrsAMac:  Wow!! That is awesome, congratulations! Is there a history of twins in either of your families?

Post # 164
    1153 posts
    Bumble bee

Here’s the babe! We are heading to Belize tomorrow. I hope baby girl enjoys flying. I will take my bump picture next week on the beach, so exciting!

Post # 165
    310 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    @hippomama:  Thanks!  My Grandpa was a twin and it apparently skips a generation.  My DH and I are shocked because it took us 6 months to conceive… So then we put out two eggs and have two strong swimmers? Like, what?  lol.  We found out this morning that both babies are healthy and they are fraternal so I feel a lot better now. 

Post # 166
    656 posts
    Busy bee

View original reply
    @MrsAMac:  That is amazing, congrats again!! Though it does kind of scare me for any future pregnancies, I have twins on my mom’s side and DH’s grandma was a twin. Though I think that just makes his female cousin and sister more likely to have them right?

The topic ‘March 2014 Babies & Mamas Part 5: Halfway There!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors