March 2020 POAS – INFERTILITY EDITION (TTC 12+ months)

posted 4 months ago in TTC
Post # 256
1314 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017 - California

Not sure if everyone has seen the SART FAQs: https://www.sart.org/patients/covid-19-alert-for-patients/.  The thing that I find really unhelpful is the part about how a delay of 1-2 months won’t affect the effectiveness of treatment. The issue is that COVID-19 isn’t going to blow over in 1-2 months (well, hopefully it will for certain regions/countries, but for many like NYS it simply will not be the case). What I think would be helpful is some real talk about how this is going to be handled once the immediate intense situation has passed and we’re still living with the thread of COVID-19 for the longer term and a potential resurgence in the Fall/Winter. I suspect the answer will be different depending on where you live and whether your clinic is dependent on hospital facilities or not (though in hard hit areas, as PP mentioned, even standalone clinics may be called on to donate their PPE and medical resources to the extent useful for the epidemic). 

I have been feeling so weird about wanting to do IVF in this climate. Obviously I have no desire to be in a hospital doing an egg retrieval any time soon and I’m scared for our health care providers on the front lines. Hospitals in NYS are reaching capacity and we haven’t hit our peak yet, so things are crazy. At the same time, I can’t help but think months and years ahead given that obviously when we’re planning pregnancy and any kind of family planning, we’re forced to consider things like our age, how many children we want, and other long-term goals. I am finding myself having to force myself to STOP thinking about the long-term goals that my RE and I have been discussing and only focus on the here and now because there’s nothing I can do about the long-term goals potentially going out the window. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors