March 2020 POAS – INFERTILITY EDITION (TTC 12+ months)

posted 4 months ago in TTC
Post # 61
940 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
mrsnitti17 :  I’m sorry your test didn’t turn out to be the real thing 🙁

So at least with this IUI, I’m still just doing letrozole and trigger shot. I’ve read up on medications like gonal-f and follistim but we aren’t using those at this point. I kind of wish I had asked more about them. What medications is your doctor discussing? And did he give a reason that he thinks your next two rounds of TI will fail? Mine was pretty ambivalent about starting IUI vs trying two more times on our own and since it doesn’t cost anything (we are SO LUCKY), I figure we might as well. 

Post # 62
590 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

View original reply
DogsAndWine :  He gave me a list of the following medication that he would be putting me on when we get there in May: Letrozole, Gonal F, Ovidrel and Crinone. Basically in regards to the next 2 rounds failing, he told us that typically if you arent pregnant during the first 3 rounds the chances after that are significantly less, and that it makes sense to move on, which is why his max is 6 rounds.  However, he did assure me that the letrozole is safe to keep going as it has no negetive side effects so that is what we chose to do. I am taking these next 2 months to save up to pay for whats coming, loose some of my winter weight and go in one last vacation before fertility treatment is our priority finance wise. I am interested in hearing how your experience goes though!

Post # 63
494 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2017 - City, State

View original reply
anev :  Wow, that’s a lot of blood!  I hope the waiting is faster than expected, and that you can get that early March date for your procedure.

View original reply
DogsAndWine :  If you’re already going through letrozole/monitoring and IUI is covered, I would up the odds a bit by doing the IUI.  Good luck while you decide.

View original reply
mrsnitti17 :  Wishing you peace while you take your holidays and decide on the next steps. It’s great that your doctor is giving you the chance to read up on things and make the best decision for you.

View original reply
piscesinsc :  Welcome, and I’m so sorry to hear about your struggles TTC.  FX that this IUI works for you!

AFM, we did our first IUI this morning!  It all seemed to go smoothly.. so I guess now it’s just time to hurry up and wait.  They won’t do betas until 15dpiui, so I’ll most likely find out whether it worked on my own when AF shows (or not) around the usual 12dpo (12dpiui).

Post # 64
95 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
stellate23 :  Thanks! It looks like we’re on the same schedule with our IUI’s! I hope it goes well for you. My clinic is similar in that they won’t do betas until at least 14dpo. I am supposed to take a test on that day and if it’s positive then they will bring me in for bloodwork. 

Has anyone tried accupuncture for infertility? There’s a clinic near me that specializes in fertility issues but since insurance won’t cover it I’m hesitant to try it before I hear other experiences. I know people who love accupuncture for other issues, but I’ve never talked to anyone who has tried it for fertility. 

Post # 66
940 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
mrsnitti17 :  Ah ok.  I’m assuming my medication regimen will change in a couple of months if there’s no success.  It sounds like you have a good couple of months coming up! Where are you planning to vacation?

Post # 68
940 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
stellate23 :  What was the IUI like? Did it hurt at all? I’ve been reading up on the process- we’ve decided to go for it. 

Post # 69
95 posts
Worker bee

View original reply
anev :  Thanks! It’s sort of a relief to see others with male factor infertility as we know no one who has ever dealt with this. We’re the only ones of our group of friends to not have kids yet and all of them conceived naturally. My husband is still processing the loss of a biological child. He does have some health issues so on the one hand he’s glad he’s not passing them onto our child, but I think he also feels sort of out of place during all of this because there’s really nothing for him to do. He’s been as involved as possible in picking our sperm donor and going to all of the appointments, but I think he feels pretty helpless. We did spend some time in therapy processing our feelings and he felt like he was letting me down, which is understandable, but I think I’ve reassured him that we’ll get through this eithe way. We actually had a harder time processing the first IUI failing because we assumed it would take given that I don’t seem to have any issues. 

Thanks for the info on the acupuncture! I don’t seem to have any lining issues so I may hold off for now. I have a friend in Canada whose obgyn referred her to an acupuncturist so I was curious if it actually worked. 

Post # 70
494 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
piscesinsc :  That makes sense.  I used (and loved) acupuncture for allergies in the past, so I tried it for fertility a few months ago. I had a few sessions with a non-fertility expert, and then another few sessions with a fertility expert.. and honestly I didn’t care for it. I find that I am much more relaxed after yoga than after acupuncture, and for a fraction of the cost!  But, other people swear by it for fertility, so it may be worth a shot for you!! Let us know if you do end up trying it.

View original reply
anev :  Such great news that you’ll be getting in for the hysteroscopy/biopsy soon!! Would this include a sample for the senescent cell lining treatment, or would that be a different procedure? And thanks.. I hope it works, but am also thinking of things to discuss before the next one (like triggering at the start of my natural LH surge, instead of days prior). I’m on the fence between testing out the trigger and then testing at 12DPO (when AF is due), or saving a bunch of tests and waiting.

View original reply
DogsAndWine :  The IUI was so quick, painless, and way easier than I was expecting. I came in with a full-ish bladder, quickly set up like for a Pap, and then before I knew it, the catheter was in and out and we were done. The weirdest part was having four docs/etc in the room, but I was able to have DH in there to look at and hold my hand, so that was a great distraction from the clinical-ness of it all.  It’s great that you decided to go for it!  FX!

Post # 72
494 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
anev :  Ah, okay. Hopefully you won’t end up needing that other biopsy! Oh and I’ve only come across a few studies testing trigger alongside LH (serum) surge… and indeed it does seem hard to nail the timing there. I’m still so new to this that I have no idea what’s actually standard in clinical practice, so it’s good to know that it’s uncommon IRL.  And that’s a really great point to consider that maybe I’m ovulating too late.. I usually get a short surge on CD14 and O CD15, but I’ll ask my doc if he has any ideas along those lines.

Post # 73
95 posts
Worker bee

View original reply
anev :  My husband goes to the scans and the inseminations. He doesn’t go for any bloodwork, but he does want to be as involved as possible. His boss is really understanding since they had to do IVF to conceive their son so he knows what’s going on and gets that any appointments we have will be on farily short notice and can’t be moved. I totally get what you’re saying about how you felt you had a real shot once you knew what was going on and had a plan to fix it. I think that’s how we felt as well. We tried for a year thinking everything was OK so now that we know exactly what the issue is, we assumed that our first try would work. Unfortunately, given my age and the fact that we’re using frozen sperm, our odds of conceiving each cycle are less than 15%. I try to keep that fact in mind now since we’ll probably do at least one more round of IUI before we move to IVF. 

Post # 74
3969 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2016 - Manhattan, NY

View original reply
piscesinsc :  Just wanted to say hi and reassure you that you are not alone! We jumped right to IVF with DS for the higher success rates after getting my husband’s crushing diagnosis and allowing time to process it all. He still has feelings of guilt and feels that he’s to blame for putting me through all of this, but I never looked at anything as his fault, and I was the one who pushed for IVF so I knew what I was getting myself into. I’m glad to hear that your husband is involved too. So far, our IVF cycle with donor sperm went amazingly well and we have a lot of embryos to work with. Now we anxiously await our first transfer on 3/24! 

AFM, my great insurance falls short when it comes to synera patches. They only cover 2 per month at $35. I was quoted $360 for a box of 10 if I wanted to pay out of pocket. No thanks! I’m waiting for a nurse to call me back with alternatives but for now I’m planning on using a 5% lidocaine cream and tegaderm patches. Much cheaper and seems to be effective from my research. 

Post # 75
95 posts
Worker bee

View original reply
ladyvictoria : Thanks! I’m glad your initial retrieval went well and you have a lot of embroys. I also think it hurts my husband to see me have to go through so much because of him. He gave me my ovidrel shot this month and he told me he felt bad that he had to do it. He was actually better than the nurse, though! I hope your transfer goes well next month! I think our plan is to try one more round of IUI and then take some time off and do IVF this summer if it doesn’t work. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors